Rio Down

nicapopolis

Aug 22, 2013
I hunted these birds 3 times before connecting on hunt number 4. I was determined to kill a true Rio and to shoot a mature gobbler from this area.

I have seen these turkeys the last 3 fall duck seasons. The area is draw for public land and not close to the house. It was long morning drives and one midday hunt.

This came together last Friday. This boss tom was fired up on the roost. He gobbled at everything that made a noise. It wasn't until I started with some light calling 5 minutes before shoot time that the other birds in the group even gobbled.

Shoot time was 5:07. Gobbler down at 5:09. About 5 to 10 minutes later the other birds flew down and walked right toward me. I had to stand up and scare them away. Haha

25 yard shot. 19 lbs. 9.5 inch beard. 1 inch spurs.

I still have and OTC tag so I might try and kill one this closing weekend close to home. 96e9f1a05afb23b9587006c00fc2b41f.jpgc36f979e940257ab5f2caf3ea62e06fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu