riverside county shooting map

I have not found a map yet like San Bernardino has but so far as I can tell it is no Joshua Tree on the riverside side but the other national forest and blm land is fine. There are a few little patches scattered around that are protected but for the most part is open. Once you picked out a grid square you can email or call the local forrest service or BLM and ask them about any restrictions on it.

Reactions: TheGDog
I can shoot ten minutes from the house. It’s pretty convenient!

I have only shot my pistols and shotguns so far. Not sure if my .06 would get the fuzz on me.

My understanding is BLM is back open to target shoot, except wilderness areas. Most of last year it was closed for fire restrictions in the county. National forest Ive been told is off limits except those few specific designated shooting areas. Although I have come across a few areas in the NF that people treat like a shooting area, and they have become dumping grounds unfortunately.

If you find a map PLEASE post or IM me. Id love to have one.

is the yellow area considered the incorporated area and no go for shooting? unshaded open to shooting per that properties rules? red??

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 4.39.30 PM.png

Thank you everyone. I was more interested in a shooting map to look at the legal areas to discharge a firearm for hunting purposes. Like how SB has designated shotgun areas, and areas that one can fire a rifle for hunting.

Not really interested in Areas for recreational/target shooting.

Riverside law enforcement is not even clear on the law which leaves is pretty subjective to the peace office to decide whether they're going to give you a hard time or not.

You won't be shooting/hunting in that yellow-shaded area. Get a forest map. Cleveland National Forest west of the 15 freeway is good to go for hunting. Need to find a point of access though. Also, the mountains around Lake Hemet (San Bernardino National Forest, I believe). Find the boundaries of the deer zones.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Sheriff's usually have a map of no shooting areas.
NF (National forest) allow hunting.
No Target practice....
BLM (Bureau of Land Management)
Allows target practice, and hunting
With exceptions....
Read the local , state and federal laws..

You won't be shooting/hunting in that yellow-shaded area. Get a forest map. Cleveland National Forest west of the 15 freeway is good to go for hunting. Need to find a point of access though. Also, the mountains around Lake Hemet (San Bernardino National Forest, I believe). Find the boundaries of the deer zones.
You definitively can hunt in parts of the yellow area. Recreational shooting would be a no go.

I carry a copy of the shooting ordinance 514 when Im hunting in Riverside county as well as the phone number for the local Game Warden.

Section 4. It shall be unlawful in either the Western Zone or the Eastern Zone for any person to shoot or discharge within one mile of any incorporated city any firearm, other than a shotgun used in lawfully hunting game pursuant to a valid hunting license.

Hence why I use a shotgun and try and to find cost effective ammo that works.

Also in the yellow shaded area there has been plenty of waterfowl, pheasant and other hunts on public and private land

Reactions: longbowhunter2
It says incorporated “city” in the reg, not incorporated “area”. The city boundries are far away from the yellow area boundry. “While hunting” moves your boundries in more, “while hunting with a shot gun” moves them in even more. Thanks my take anyway.

I think if you obey the rules of the area you are hunting in you would be ok. I think all the Cleveland national forest within riverside county falls in that yellow area, but the CNF website says active hunting is allowed.

I think we all agree that San Bernardino county has done a better job trying to put out defined area to shoot/hunt. Riverside however has left it pretty ambiguous and mostly up to the shooter to argue your case in court based on how local law enforcement interprets the law.

Also I think a big part of the confusion is non shooting areas VS hunting areas and those borders being changed even further by the type of firearm used.

I think police there in general get the "no shooting allowed" in there head so much that they completely forget or not educated to the hunting legalities of the county. Im sure they get a lot more calls about target shooting in rural areas than hunters.

I had a Game warden on New years tell me that im not allowed to hunt on BLM land at all in the state. I told him with all do respect i am certain that statement is incorrect. He told me to call BLM after the holiday to ask because he couldn't remember the laws on BLM exactly.

That is why I was hoping the was something more black and white to reference to. I moved to Riverside ~4 years ago but was mostly hunting SB county prior.

The map in this thread is just one put together by an average Joe based on target shooting made in 2011 with info that was much older than that.

Big difference between a hunter taking a shot versus someone emptying multiple magazines target shooting. I am lucky just to be able to fire once, much less twice in a day. Outside city limits for shotgun and 1 mile outside city limits for rifle is my interpretation. 300 yards away from any building, roads, barns, trails, etc, 150 yards for shotgun. I think that would be bare minimum and pushing your luck though. Looking at spots that get you far away from people is less of a hassle. It really is crazy, you have to look at the regs on the forest/blm land, then you have to cross reference the DFG regs, then you have to cross reference firearm regs for the area. That's just to hunt one area, if you want to hunt in another area the process starts all over again. Make good notes on an area and hope they don't make changes to the laws. One more reason not to give up your spots weather there is wildlife there or not, and buy a bow.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu