Salton Sea Blinds and Seats

What ever happened to the plan that the Indian tribe was to build housing on the ok’d duck club property that used to be owned by
Ken Fait?

he donated it to the tribe and they were to build housing…

Our family never hunted the North Sea area, but we sure did a lot of it off the access roads in the south.

I can still smell the mud. Remember my dad trying to hunt while my brothers and I (we were young), tried to build a raft using wood and branches we found along the shore. Spent a lot of time doing that but it never floated… as we stood on it and immediately sank into mud.

ahh…. Good memories hunting the sea

;);)

What ever happened to the plan that the Indian tribe was to build housing on the ok’d duck club property that used to be owned by
Ken Fait?

he donated it to the tribe and they were to build housing…

Our family never hunted the North Sea area, but we sure did a lot of it off the access roads in the south.

I can still smell the mud. Remember my dad trying to hunt while my brothers and I (we were young), tried to build a raft using wood and branches we found along the shore. Spent a lot of time doing that but it never floated… as we stood on it and immediately sank into mud.

ahh…. Good memories hunting the sea

;);)

Who knows, Rick....I don't recall any new housing on the west side Torres/Martinez res.

We used to hunt an old club that was called the Millionaire back in the 40's...We called it Ted's Club...Since the owners name was Ted...Tons of history inside the main house...Lots of movie stars and such.

Cousin Jon, 1996

.Ted's Club 11-29-96.jpg

Steve, Love the picture… and the camo jacket!

the stories of hunts long ago are fun to recall.

I spent a lot of time in the North area of the sea where the Whitewater River terminates at the sea. Off to one side was/is a row of dead trees I use to hunt at the end of. Firm bottom and hip boot deep. I had some good shoots out of there until some agency trenched the access so deep I finally took the hint to stay out. I remember shooting Redheads, Cans, Bluebill, Teal, Shovelers, Widgeon, Gads, and a mallard now and then. Saw no sense to drive to Wister when I could shoot there a couple a times a week. Under a hours drive once I left home to be pulling on gear. Was a lot of fun.

Reactions: NBK and ilovesprig
I like the fillip flops they float you know now that is the way to hunt the sea you just float across the water & mud.

Torres - Martinez Indians have that shut down, and they are not f#%king around. Don't ask me how i know.
The Good ol' days are when you could go hunt without anyone bothering you or fear of the government. Complexity has increased 100x. Nonsense, in my opinion, that today are the Good ol' days even with increased game populations.

tia got cherry foot one time. scared the crap outa me. I keep Keflex on hand now just incase.

Bill,

I carry hydroperoxide, Neosporin, and anti-biotics with me at all times.....Trigger even cut his foot in Montana a couple years back and got "Wister Foot"...1st and only time it happened somewhere other than Salton Sea area.

Fish-flex... Low cost and works, for fish of course.

Fish-flex... Low cost and works, for fish of course.
Who knows, Rick....I don't recall any new housing on the west side Torres/Martinez res.

We used to hunt an old club that was called the Millionaire back in the 40's...We called it Ted's Club...Since the owners name was Ted...Tons of history inside the main house...Lots of movie stars and such.

Cousin Jon, 1996

.View attachment 51067
Steve, that club sounds like “Sunset” which was off of Lincoln St ? Our club was just West of it and watched the tornado of ducks when they fed . Their main house had a wall of celebrities that had hunted . One and the same ? Old Quack 49

Reactions: Duckfan
We use bleach water and then Neosporin. Shuts down infection. Diesel has had some foxtails get in his foot and the above has been the solution.

Reactions: ilovesprig
"Steve, that club sounds like “Sunset” which was off of Lincoln St ? Our club was just West of it and watched the tornado of ducks when they fed . Their main house had a wall of celebrities that had hunted . One and the same ? Old Quack 49"

Larry,

It was off or near Lincoln St & Grant Ave....Could easily be the Sunset Club....

Correct, sunset was off of Lincoln and was bought up by the Conservancy to dry up and go feral.
The caretaker there Bill let me come in and collect all the decoys about 200, including the spec decoys that I gave Steve a smoking deal on.

Last edited:
Correct,sunset was off of Lincoln and was bought up by the Conservancy to dry up and go Farrel.
The caretaker there Bill let me come in and collect all the decoys about 200, including the spec decoys that I gave Steve a smoking deal on.
Their wall had some pretty impressive pictures and autographs from Hollywood and politics that had enjoyed hunting there . Our club , Artesian Acres, did really well for a little 40 acre do it yourself club but when they went out to feed I think every duck and goose near headed there . That was more impressive to me . Oldquack 49

Used to hunt Sunset Ranch off of Lincoln when WU leased it several years ago. Is this the same property?

Used to hunt Sunset Ranch off of Lincoln when WU leased it several years ago. Is this the same property?

I just found the old club I hunted on OnX....Hard to recognize, except for the pond by the main house...The guest rooms were a 2 story building running at a 90 degree angle...Dog kennels were a little to the west, last time I saw it...The kennels were full of Herter's decoys...All the fish ponds that the club became are dry now...The sea, which used to be right behind the club, is now a mile away.....:(

ps...The "guests" included ladies of the night for the fowlers...So, the story goes...... ;)

.IMG_2999.PNG

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I just found the old club I hunted on OnX....Hard to recognize, except for the pond by the main house...The guest rooms were a 2 story building running at a 90 degree angle...Dog kennels were a little to the west, last time I saw it...The kennels were full of Herter's decoys...All the fish ponds that the club became are dry now...The sea, which used to be right behind the club, is now a mile away.....:(

ps...The "guests" included ladies of the night for the 'fowlers...So, the story goes...... ;)

.View attachment 51206
Didn’t every club ? I knew our club missed something , haha . Every time I pass Mecca on the way to Wister I shed a tear . Oldquack

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu