Salton Sea News

chessie

Sep 5, 2018
Im happy they are moving forward, the article looks like they are trying to figure out logistics with very few specifics. Thanks for the article though

Im happy they are moving forward, the article looks like they are trying to figure out logistics with very few specifics. Thanks for the article though

Tom,

Unfortunately, they've been working on the logistics with few specifics for years... ;)

Reminds me of the Owens lake , it's going to take a serious class action law suit to get any forward progress.

The people that live year round in the Imperial valley breath some of the most unhealthy air in Ca.

Reminds me of the Owens lake , it's going to take a serious class action law suit to get any forward progress.

The people that live year round in the Imperial valley breath some of the most unhealthy air in Ca.

Owens Dry Lake is pretty much developed with a wildlife area there.

.045.JPG037.JPG049.JPG026.JPG

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I didnt see any info on the contract size ($$).
Fighting nature is an uphill battle and nature always wins the long game.

so its a design build... more or less a few contractors submit a plan and cost on how to reach the goal that the owner wants. Everyone is free to come up with their own idea on how to get to the goal. They selected Kiewit's plan now they will sit down and hash out the cost and what changes they want. Then you will get the contract amount.

"...This project is proposed to cover up to 1,900 acres..." Well, at least it's a start, but, the Salton Sea is about 219,520 acres so 1,900 acres would be about 0.866% of the Salton Sea. Long, long way to go. I've always said the only thing that will save the Sea is water and lots of it. Freshwater would be best but there's no way because all the freshwater is spoken for, and then some. Saltwater would help but it would probably have to be piped in from the Gulf of California about 120 miles away and would require cooperation from Mexico.

Reactions: ilovesprig
You need about 1.2 Billion gallons per day to keep up with the evaporation rate. A 120 mile aqueduct of this size would cost about $2B to construct. Then you need to pay about $1500 per acre foot to operate it. That's about $2B per yr in operations costs.

elon musk needs to make a tunnel and connect it to the pacific, its below sea level should all be down hill right?, lol. Then outflow it where the colorado meets the mexican border so it runs into the sea of cortez. Thats what they do with us on the TJ river in San Diego.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
the fix is a easy one. you only have to ditch from the delta through laguna salada. From there the water would feed down hill to the sea. its pretty simple to be honest but would require cooperation between usa and mexico.

You can not have outflow from the sea. besides the obvious 230' bellow sea level and having to pump it all the way to the gulf. The lets just pump it to the Colorado river and fuck mexico sounds great till you understand that we already fuck mexico and let almost none of the water that comes down the river into mexico. What little we do let over is for farming and drinking water and very very tiny amount goes into the delta. pumping sea water into the river would destroy what is left of greatest wetland the modern world has ever know. so pretty sure mexico is not going to let us dig a ditch to bring sea water and and let us dump hyper saline water back wrecking the delta.

there is no comparison between the TJ river and the damage WE do to the mighty Colorado. We wrecked something amazing and as people we should all be sad.

On the map the delta was bisected by the river, but in fact the river was nowhere and everywhere, for he could not decide which of a hundred green lagoons offered the most pleasant and least speedy path to the gulf. So he traveled them all, and so did we. He divided and rejoined, he twisted and turned, he meandered in awesome jungles, he all but ran in circles, he dallied with lovely groves, he got lost and was glad of it, and so were we. For the last word in procrastination, go travel with a river reluctant to lose his freedom in the sea.
— Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

Last edited:
"Many of the Salton Sea's problems began in 2003 when a transfer agreement began cutting off huge amounts of water that once flowed into the lake as irrigation runoff from the Imperial Valley. "

" Since the 2003 water transfer deal, the lake has lost a total of 23,800 acres of surface area and has dropped 9.5 feet, according to Justine Herrig, senior environmental scientist with the state water board. "

I know an easy fix, stop water transfers.

man were is my popcorn, missing good stuf here.
Green house do you mean the polluted water from the new river, with pesticides and chemicals , the one with all the signs that say danger will Robinson danger.

I will be dead and long gone before they fix the problem. I read some were they did the same to the owens lake, used it for pollution control dumping chemicals in it for years,

Reactions: wackums back

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu