San Diego City Lakes Closures Hunting & Fishing. Time to GET INVOLVED!!

DoubleTrouble

Sep 8, 2016
Yesterday San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer released the balanced budget proposal for FY2021 and it's not good news for our City Lakes Program. The proposed budget calls for increased closure of City Reservoirs for recreation to the tune of $400k. To put that into perspective, the extra one day a month closures put in place last year netted the City a savings of $78k so do the math. The proposed budget also calls for eliminating the Water Contact Program at El Capitan Reservoir as well as Waterfowl Hunting at Barrett Reservoir.

Yes, these are tough financial times for the City due to the unprecedented health and economic crisis brought on by Covid19, but in my opinion there just isn't ANY room to enact further closures at our City Lakes. Furthermore, we all know once we lose additional days, we will never get them back...

Now is the time to act (in a professional manner). Please let your voice/opinion be heard by contacting our Mayor and City Council Members. There is also a City Council meeting on May 11th open for public input.

Mayor Kevin Faulconer: 619-236-6330
[email protected]

District 1: Barbara Bry: [email protected]
District 2: Jennifer Campbell: [email protected]
District 3: Chris Ward: [email protected]
District 4: Monica Montgomery: [email protected]
District 5: Mark Kersey: [email protected]
District 6: Chris Cate: [email protected]
District 7: Scott Sherman: [email protected]
District 8: Vivian Moreno: [email protected]
District 9: Georgette Gomez: [email protected]

Stay safe and healthy, more to come...

Phil,

Thank for posting...Guys we must start calling and being the squeaky wheel...They know we're easy targets, despite the fact we actually PAY to hunt & fish here in San Diego

PLEASE, PLEASE... DO YOUR PART....OUR HUNTING & FISHING DEPENDS ON IT.

ps...If this city gets away with this...Your lake or hunting opportunities state wide could/will be in jeopardy.

Thanks Kellen...For the folks who do not live in the City of San Diego (like me)...Calling Faulkner's office is best.

The head of parks & rec needs to be on this list too...And we'll get it for you.

The NWTF hunts cost the city nothing...We volunteer all the work involved...Which includes opening gates, getting the boats ready, and locking up.

ps...Where is Jim Brown when you need him?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Great guy, long-standing proponent of hunting and angling in SoCal. He gave me an old turkey decoy years ago when I had a short lived infatuation with hunting them.

Yep...Him, Ed Zieralski, and Larry Botttroff were instrumental for us having a hunting and world class fishing program here in San Diego...Struggling to hold on to a couple of threads on how it used to be.

This wholesale grab of our freedoms and rights has gone waaaaay toooo far. Very frustrating and we are so far outnumbered and out maneuvered I fear this will be our fate.....

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Thanks for posting! Calling and will email but we need to get this out on all platforms! I have been hunting Barrett for the past four years and ya it's not a traditional duck hunt but it has become my Ruddy hunt! If this goes away more will follow. Death by a thousand cuts my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mail
The City of San Diego is currently considering closing Barrett Reservoir to waterfowl hunting, ostensibly because of budget issues. Please urge the Mayor and City Council to keep Barrett Reservoir open for public hunting.

The San Diego area has very limited public hunting opportunities, particularly for waterfowl. Shutting down hunting at Barrett Reservoir--which has occurred for over 60 years and is a traditional use--would leave local hunters with few options. Currently, waterfowl hunting there is already limited to two hunt days per week during season, with just a handful of blinds available (depending on water levels).

Like some other public waterfowl hunt programs, changes could be considered that would reduce costs such as setting up an iron ranger/self check-in and reporting bird harvest on-line. Many hunters would also be willing to consider higher fees if that would mean keeping the area open.

The hearing on this issue is scheduled for May 11th. Please contact the San Diego Mayor and City Council NOW to protect waterfowl hunting and keep it viable in the area.

Please note that you will have to provide a City of San Diego address in order contact the Mayor and City Council through Voter Voice.

Thank you for your assistance.

Click the link below to log in and send your message:
https://www.votervoice.net/BroadcastLinks/pafwuxQOUfO7oGzXi6YDiw
Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.​

Done. Thanks for posting. Cut my teeth on waterfowling as a boy on Otay lake. My folks place was only a mile away, and there were lots and lots of duck hunting opportunities in the 60s and 70s within 20 miles of the house. Numerous riverbottoms, stock ponds, San Diego bay, gun powder point, Tijuana sloughs, Barrett, Cuyamaca, Sutherland etc, we had it all back then. Would certainly be a damn shame to lose the only remnant we have left.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu