San Diego National Wildlife Refuge (PLEASE READ) Hunting Opportunity!

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Ok - it is time to make a difference and get the emails and phone calls made. We have a chance to open up the San Diego National Wildlife Refuge for hunting. I urge everyone on this site to make the calls and send the emails asking to have this refuge opened to hunt. As of today, they have only received one call from the hunting community and basically we have left it up to PETA and the rest to steer this agenda.

This is an amazing opportunity for us to get some excellent land back. And we can do it if we all act.

Here is the website URL for comprehensive information: http://www.fws.gov/refuge/San_Diego/what_we_do/planning.html

I have attached a PDF update on the project and below I have highlighted the phone number to call as well as an email to use. Please do both. Be professional and let Victoria Aires Touchstone know how important it is to you and the community to have this refuge opened to hunting.

(619) 476-9150 extension 103

Email: [email protected] (include “San Diego NWR CCP” in the subject line)

San Diego National Wildlife Refuge
Draft Comprehensive Conservation Plan and Environmental Assessment
San Diego County, California
Type of Action: Administrative
Lead Agency: U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service
Responsible Official: Ren Lohoefener, Re
gional Director, Pacific Southwest Region
For Further Information: Victoria
Aires Touchstone, Refuge Planner

(619) 476-9150 extension 103

Attachments

• Planning Update 4 website.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
I'll do it first thing, as soon as I get done work today

Sent via Tapatalk

The San Diego County Wildlife Federation has been attending these meetings. It is important to be involved in the process. They had a meeting on July 15th and the federation did attend

Lets keep up the emails. Also make the phone call. It will go to voicemail but she is listening to all of the mail! Lets win this one!

I hope you spend some time reading what the plan is. They are interested in POSSIBLE opening 160 acres to hunting. This place is just over 11,000 acres.

This is such a small area and we should have more available to us. We must be involved and writing is just the start.

Please read this Doc and go to page 6-22 and 6-23 to read about the hunting plan.

Attachments

• Chapters 6 and 7 website.pdf
    475.6 KB · Views: 7
wheels said:
I hope you spend some time reading what the plan is. They are interested in POSSIBLE opening 160 acres to hunting. This place is just over 11,000 acres.

This is such a small area and we should have more available to us. We must be involved and writing is just the start.

Please read this Doc and go to page 6-22 and 6-23 to read about the hunting plan.

Yes I was reading the summary update here:
http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Region_8/NWRS/Zone_1/San_Diego_Complex/San_Diego/Sections/What_We_Do/Conservation/PDFs/Planning%20Update%204%20website.pdf

They say specifically: "Comments should be specific and should address the document’s adequacy and the merits of the alternatives described. "

Looking at those alternatives, it seems C opens the most land to hunting:

"Upon approval of the Final CCP, initiate the development of a step-down hunt plan for the Otay-Sweetwater Unit to facilitate a small game and upland bird hunting program for portion of the McGinty Mountain area (about 400 acres) and the southern portion of the Las Montañas area (about 300 acres), with small game (i.e., rabbit) and upland bird (i.e., dove, quail) hunting permitted in both areas, and an additional archery-only southern mule deer hunting program for the McGinty Mountain area. Hunting in accordance with State regulations for CDFW Ecological Reserves would also be permitted on approximately 160 acres in the Otay Mesa and Lakes area."

Right now we have nothing and the areas proposed are good areas.

Again, we need to get access and open up the refuge to hunting so it is important to be educated but also to make the calls and send the emails.

I spent an hour with a USFW agent yesterday to fully understand the project. Be positive and make a difference. This can happen if we have a voice.

Here's what I sent in. It's public record so I figured I would share it here.

Ms. Touchstone-

I would like to thank you and everyone at SD NWR not only for preserving and managing wild lands in San Diego, but also for looking to keep their use relevant and engage the public going forward. Growing up I spent a lot of time: hiking, camping, and fishing in Boy Scouts and just exploring the vacant fields of East County with a trusty stick. I have often told friends, parents, and anyone who will listen that, with a bit of imagination, a stick is the most supreme toy of all time.

It feels like San Diego was much more rural back then. Our house was perched on the far edge of El Cajon valley, where it drops off into Dehesa. We rode horses, hiked all around, and played in seasonal creeks. Now much of those undeveloped lands have been built up. Kids growing up where I did, even out in the sticks, have traffic past their houses and neighbors just a few feet away.

I believe it is critical for humans to maintain a close relationship with the natural world. The most skillful painting can not begin to touch the beauty of a sunset. The most fragrant perfume stinks next to the smell of fresh rain on earth. And no food ever tasted better than a trout, fresh from the creek, fried up over a fire. If we lose our wild and natural places, we lose our connection to our history and ancestry. We lose track of our place on this planet.

So once again, I offer my utmost and humble thanks and appreciation for you and everyone that works to preserve wild lands. What little we have left is thanks to stewards such as yourself. You stand stalwart against the tide of modernization and development. And from what I understand, you all do so for precious little pay. Managing wildlife systems must truly be an act of love.

All that said, I personally find an alarming trend in our attitude towards nature. It seems most of the public would agree there is value in preserving open and wild spaces. But the trends seems to be moving towards making wild lands sacrosanct. People seem to be of the opinion that nature is best observed from afar. I could not possibly disagree with this sentiment more. I believe that nature is best enjoyed when you interact with it. For me that often involves a backpack and a tent, or a fishing rod, or a hunting rifle (or shotgun).

When I go to nature I seek to fill my eyes, my heart, and sometimes, my belly. I believe particularly that eating wild foods, hunted, fished, and foraged, gives me a deep connection to these places. It gives me a keen sense of the rhythm of the seasons and ties me to the vibrancy (or dearth) of life that's out there. It keep my senses keen and my mind sharp.

I appreciate that the plan, going forward, includes potential to allow hunting and fishing on these lands. I would most appreciate their inclusion in the final regulations set forth for SDNWR. Looking at the four options I see that A (status quo) and B do not include hunting and fishing. I would emphatically encourage you not to use those. Options C and D will allow hunting, though it appears that C will do so to a much larger degree. I'm not positive I've read all the info correctly, but it appears D opens 160 acres to hunting and fishing whereas option C opens up 860 acres.

From the hunting and fishing standpoint, again assuming a correct reading of the proposal, 860 acres is by far the preferable choice. That is over 5 times the amount of land, and is still quite small compared to the over 11,500 acres in SDNWR. After all, 860 acres is less than 7.5% of the total area. If I had a vote, I would choose the option which opens the most lands to hunting and fishing in San Diego.

Once final time, thank you for your dedication to wild lands and for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,
Matt Steiger

Matt,

This is an excellent example of an intelligent, gentle and thorough email. It is shows an appreciation for our heritage and leaves a lasting impression that is positive.

Thanks for setting an example as well as setting the bar.

Well the lady called me back I talked to her for about a 1/2 hour. She seemed nice sent me some more info.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu