San Diego National Wildlife Refuge (PLEASE READ) Hunting Opportunity!

Good news for sure. They need to continue to hear from the hunting community!

Just got home from a meeting tonight......A person from the Sierra Club spoke at the meeting.......Believe it or not, she is for hunting........The rest of her minions are not........Plan D has been recommended.......160 friggin' acres.

The way I take this is most this area are areas we couldn't hunt before. Not really a net loss on hunting opportunities......Most the area is of high chaparral too.

ilovesprig said:
Just got home from a meeting tonight......A person from the Sierra Club spoke at the meeting.......Believe it or not, she is for hunting........The rest of her minions are not........Plan D has been recommended.......160 friggin' acres.

The way I take this is most this area are areas we couldn't hunt before. Not really a net loss on hunting opportunities......Most the area is of high chaparral too.

What I got from my conversation was there copping out about some stupid plants and some lame birds. Saying that I'm for trails and protection but that zone gets to much illegal alien traffic to attempt it.

SCI responds to the 160 acre hunting acreage in Plan D.......Thanks Jim

Ms. Touchstone,

The attached letter is the formal input of the San Diego Chapter of Safari Club International (San Diego SCI) on the San Diego National Wildlife Refuge, Draft Comprehensive Conservation Plan / Environmental Assessment, herein referred to as the DCCP. Representatives from our organization have been actively involved in the DCCP process for the last decade, attending public outreach meetings and providing guidance and recommendations at every opportunity. Having done so, we are dismayed by the management alternatives proposed in the DCCP; specifically by the lack of any significant hunting program in the Preferred Alternative D. We contend that the Preferred Alternative D is unacceptable for providing opportunities for the priority public use of hunting because:

· Hunting is specified as one of six priority uses of a Refuge and in no way interferes with other uses of the Refuge, as admitted in the DCCP.

· Hunters have never asked other recreation users to abstain from their preferred recreational activities, yet hunters are apparently expected to stand-down because some non-priority users (e.g., equestrian and mountain bike trail users) want it all to themselves.

· The DCCP and the Preferred Alternative D ignore policy guidance from higher authority, specifically Executive Order 13442 as well as USFWS Service Manual 605 FW 2 and the USFWS Vision as published in the “Conserving the Future: Wildlife Refuges and the Next Generation”.

· The miniscule 160 acres of hunting area (out of a total 11,537 acres of Refuge) in Preferred Alternative D clearly wouldn’t justify a hunting program with a reasonable future and would undoubtedly be soon terminated as not being cost-effective.

It is my sincere hope that following this comment period that we can establish a dialog to develop an alternative to the current Preferred Alternative D that incorporates a comprehensive hunting program on the Refuge.

Best regards,

Jim Conrad

President, San Diego SCI

858-481-9292 Tel

858-481-3557 Fax

[email protected]

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu