San Felipe WA Oakgrove Unit - DFG Quail Hunt

sdolan617

May 30, 2018
South OC
Got drawn for the San Felipe WA Oakgrove Unit - Quail Hunt (10/20) as part of the DFG Special Hunt Program. Was wondering if anyone whose taken part in these special DFG wild bird hunts and had any info on what to expect. I've did a DFG planted pheasant hunt a while back where there were a number of volunteer dog-handlers and it was a very controlled 2 hunters at a time in the field, is this a similar set-up? Or it is more of a safety briefing and then cut loose on your own to chase coveys situation?

Sorry bud not familiar with that hunt or the unit. I know where it's at though and can tell you it's very dry. I've never hunted the Oak Grove unit but have hunted the main area and the Granite Mtn unit a lot but they're very different so not much intel I can offer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sdolan617
Appreciate the intel, sounds like I should keep expectations at a minimum... assuming I don’t get drawn for a good rezz for duck opener (same day) I’ll post a report and let you all know what I find

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I am also not familiar with that Hunt.
I are with the previous post about the drought devestating the Wildlife.
How ever since you are. Drawn it would not hurt to try it. At least get your beak wet, don't expect high harvest. Then tell us about how it worked out.
Best bet contact the DFG biologist and or anyone in DFG and get lay of the land. What is expected for the rules. Would not hurt to try.

Most likely no hunting quail for most
Of us this year.
IV might be better for the desert quail. Key is water and feed.
Good luck and fortune
LB

I was out there for their annual dove hunt . Saw very few dove, shot even less. The official that runs it, Nick said there were tons of quail. I didn't hear or see any, but didn't walk the whole property. So good luck.

Last edited:
Had a Canebreak hunt once. Saw quail at the sign-in table but that was it. Won't sign up for another ever.

I hunted that draw unit last year but in January not October, plenty of quail but tough to hunt without a partner to block for you. Do you have OnX Maps? I'll send you the waypoint for the spot in the valley I saw the most quail.

I got selected for the 10/20 quail hunt as well. Guess there are 24 hunters selected and I was unaware until talking w/ Nick (the DFW POC) that only the hunter drawn is allowed to hunt. He agreed that this has been completely misinterpreted the last 2 years since most of the lotto hunts allow for hunter selected +1. He's working on getting them to change the verbiage and make it more clear. That said, I didn't get my mail notice until this weekend and already have plans since it's only 5 days away! What is up with sending out our invites so damn late anyway?? Anyway, sounds like you'll need a good dog and pair up w/ someone at the least. Good luck and happy hunting! :)

I got selected for the 10/20 quail hunt as well. Guess there are 24 hunters selected and I was unaware until talking w/ Nick (the DFW POC) that only the hunter drawn is allowed to hunt. He agreed that this has been completely misinterpreted the last 2 years since most of the lotto hunts allow for hunter selected +1. He's working on getting them to change the verbiage and make it more clear. That said, I didn't get my mail notice until this weekend and already have plans since it's only 5 days away! What is up with sending out our invites so damn late anyway?? Anyway, sounds like you'll need a good dog and pair up w/ someone at the least. Good luck and happy hunting! :)

Bummer - agreed on the draw timing. I just happened to check the online system and saw it there. I didn't get my letter until this past weekend.

Bummer - agreed on the draw timing. I just happened to check the online system and saw it there. I didn't get my letter until this past weekend.
I guess that's a lesson for all of us to check online.. constantly...ohhh the ease of technology for hunters in the state of California!

For any one interested - here's my report. Had a fun time hiking in some beautiful country but didn't see a lot action. I was one of the last to check out and only 3 birds in total had been taken on the day across all 20 hunters. I got skunked; had one small covey (5-10 birds) flush up and over a steep ridge before I was in range. Wasn't for lack of effort; according to my GPS I hiked 9.24 miles. Heard a few faint isolated calls but overall the area just wasn't holding many birds. Only heard maybe 20 shots tops over the 5 or so hours. Still had fun but that's why they call it huntin not gettin.

Thanks for the input. Was hoping you'd provide a report. Did anyone have a good pointing gun dog to help work it?

Cool. Thanks for report.
Did you see other game? Cottontails? Jack rabbits? Dove?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu