San Felipe Wildlife area?

Tbob

Dec 11, 2014
Hey guys,
I got on the web to look at this place, but can't figure it all out and tried calling the attatched number and no answer. So my questions are:
1. Are you allowed to turkey hunt out there (archery)?
2. Are you allowed to hunt deer out there (archery)?
3. Are you allowed to camp out there and if not, is there any camping close by?
4. Do/have any of you hunt out there and if so, is it any good?
Thanks so much!

1. Yes
2. Yes. D16 general season tags can't be used west of S2 though.
3. Not supposed to camp on the WA but there's BLM nearby where u might be able to.
4. I do.. as with any widely known WA, it gets a lot of pressure so success is iffy. I don't deer hunt there if that's what u mean. Mostly just small game and birds there if I do. Keep in mind it closes between Feb-Sep (except for turkey season) too. PM me if u want to know more.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I might add.....

1......Yes......Archery or shotgun.

2......Yes......South of S-2 bow only (A-22 or AO).....North, rifle or bow (D-16).

3......No camping on the area......A number of campgrounds within a few miles including Lake Henshaw.

4......I've hunted there many times......There were a good number of turkeys, but the lack of water (drought) made them head to private property. Even then, the population out there is very small.....Deer hunted it for years....Big country and bring your best boots.....Cactus, rocks, and steep/rough terrain on the north side....Quail & dove hunting on the south side after Sept 1.....Can be pretty good at times.....Really depends on the dove weed growth (turkey melon).....Granite Mt section is now open for hunting as well (shotgun or bow only).

db5241f6f5ecc83318c63f769b5b372f.jpg

The owner of these sheds was a San Felipe native, and was still alive last season...

Jason,

That's a damn nice buck.....San Felipe is a very unique place....Real desert like habitat on the north side. Thick chaparral and oak on the south side.....Some great bucks come off of Volcan Mt every year..... ;)

Attachments

• deer 2009 076.jpg
    deer 2009 076.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 178
Thanks for all the replys gents! You guys are always a wealth of information! Us that are new to Socal really appreciate you guys on this site.

Is there a better map than this one? This is the only one I can find on the web.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 189
That map is pretty good.....The red striped area at the bottom is the Granite Mt. Unit.....Now open to bow or shotgun hunting.

Take a drive out there and have Onx Maps with you.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Alrighty then, A trip out it will be. Thanks again for the info. First thing I bought when I moved to CA? OnX chip for my Garmin..

ilovesprig said:
Jason,

That's a damn nice buck.....San Felipe is a very unique place....Real desert like habitat on the north side. Thick chaparral and oak on the south side.....Some great bucks come off of Volcan Mt every year..... ;)

Awesome bucks.. Volcan Mtn is a pretty rad place. Big kitty cats too I hear.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
There is a good entrance on the S2. I had a DFG give me a hard time for parking and entering at the gate on the banner side. Be prepared to know the rules and boundaries because it was obvious he didn't and when you are parked on Banner side easy target for DFG. There are a few good streams flowing in there lots of Jacks, there is quail hunting but like everywhere it has been down. If you have a dog boots are a must or they will end up with a mouth full of cactus.

Reactions: YETI and JakeSCH
Lots of rattlers down in the drainages my dog ran into two in one drainage......never again!

Definitely snake country....Almost stepped on one a few years back on the north side, halfway up the mountain.... :eek:

Snake Charmer said:
Everyone here knows my speech about dogs and snakes so I won't tire you out, Train and vaccinate or risk it.
Snake charmer I've been looking to get my labs vaccinated. How much does it cost? They have the training and not to mention pet insurance just in case they get bit or otherwise hurt but you can never be to careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$22 from these guys

http://www.petnetwork.us/Price.htm

Some feed stores carry them too

25 for a health cert for air travel is great.......

And that's it rabies, rattler & health cert that's all I use them for......anything else I do or my reg vet. They do diagnose but I usally go for anything serious during the week so they don't workout so well. Their dewormer is the nexus single dose so they use good stuff they also do a ton of puppies so they check for heart murmurs teeth ears head to tail

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu