SBE3, Ethos, M2?

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Probably opening a can of worms here. I want to look for a dedicated duck gun. I can see now why my nice upland wood stock guns probably shouldn’t be getting a lot of action in a duck blind.

Fan of Benelli. Have two nicer models I use for upland with nice wood stocks. Can anyone speak to the comparisons on the three above? Camo finish? BE.S.T treatment? This is an investment for the long haul as it’ll likely be one of my last firearm purchases for some time (kid on the way). Willing to splurge. Will be hunting SoCal, NorCal, Missouri and probably a trip back home to coastal North Carolina every other year.

Few buddies say M2 in camo. Some say the new treatment is worth it. My local FFL has the Ethos BE.S.T 20ga (which is the shell I plan to shoot).

Some say camo gun is required. Some say it’s more about concealment and movement.

Lots to ponder now that my family and I are fully embracing this new hobby. (Wifey will be shooting this gun also).

Chris,

Well, here's my 2 cents....As most are aware, I'm a Benelli guy....I have 5 SBE's from the 1st Super Black Eagle to the new SBE 3....I like them all, but the SBE 2 is my favorite waterfowling gun of all-time....I also know that the 12 gauge SBE's are light enough to use for almost any kind of bird hunting....I also prefer the 26" barrels....It's a little lighter, points great, and balances perfect.

Since you sound like you want a 20 gauge....I would go with the M-2 camo....I see no reason to spend the money on the B.E.S.T finish....The camo is ideal, because it doesn't rust....I have used my M-2 twenty for waterfowl, but it's really the best at upland.

One other thing you need to consider....The cost of waterfowl ammo for a 20 gauge....BOSS is great, but really expensive....I've shot Kent 3" 7/8 oz 3's and it kills 'em, but really too light for geese and shots outside of 30 yds or so.

Good luck on your quest.

If you're spending that much on a gun I think you'll regret not spending the extra $100 for camo. If it's a $200 pump, maybe not.

Reactions: CLarson757
If you are hunting saltwater, consider the BEST coating. If not, it may not be necessary. As long as its not a shiny blued finish, you will probably be ok. A lot of ducks have died with a matte black parkerized 870 finish. That being said, if you are splurging, I would get the camo finish if you dont need the BEST finish. Camo finish can/will chip and rust, but it will still last a long time. Not sure any hardcore duck guns are forever guns; they live a rough life.

As far as choosing which gun, I would go to a store that has all three and mount and swing them side by side. Spend a few minutes (not seconds) with each one in your hand; if you can go to a range where you can rent them, even better. One will feel better in your hand and give you a more natural sight picture. Don't know anyone with an Ethos in the duck blind, but a lot of M2's and SBE3's out there.

Not sure why you are going with a 20ga? Most shoot 12 ga. You may want to reconsider. Larger gauge = more pellets, denser pattern, and more opportunity for a clean kill.

Tungsten, bismuth, and 3.5" shells are expensive, and you wont need them in most cases for waterfowl if using a 12 ga. If it turns into a turkey gun also, then you might consider them.

I would also consider buying an identical version (in camo/synthetic) to your current upland guns. It'll save you some coin and you will be very comfortable with it.

Just get the gun you want. They will all work. Do not worry about rust, the only part that can rust on any of them would be the outside of a blued barrel. Takes ten seconds to wipe down. Thousands of rounds out of a montifeltro in Salt / brackish water and no trouble.

Camo is nice but it's not going to kill more ducks for you. If you like it, get it!

Duck guns are tools, your not making a investment. You are buying a wrench.

Why do you think you want a 20ga?

Last edited:
I don't have much input since I'm not a hardcore ducker like some of the guys who have given you info..I run a mossberg 500 pump 12ga in camo but it gets the job done. Anytime I've gotten something within range it gets stoned. The one thing I will say 20ga ammo is harder to find. My buddy that I've been duck hunting with was running a charles daily 20ga and finding steel duck loads was a pain in the ass. Couldn't even find some at the gun show 2 weeks ago..nothing at Sportsman's or cabelas either.

Reactions: CLarson757
I don't have much input since I'm not a hardcore ducker like some of the guys who have given you info..I run a mossberg 500 pump 12ga in camo but it gets the job done. Anytime I've gotten something within range it gets stoned. The one thing I will say 20ga ammo is harder to find. My buddy that I've been duck hunting with was running a charles daily 20ga and finding steel duck loads was a pain in the ass. Couldn't even find some at the gun show 2 weeks ago..nothing at Sportsman's or cabelas either.

Thanks for that. As it stands I’ve got several cases of 20ga bismuth in various loads from 7 to 3 shot and a dozen or so boxes of tss turkey. The last few years I’ve been shooting BOSS 20ga. It’s knocked down everything I connect with from quail and dove to pheasant, ducks, rabbits and turkey. Out my 6 scatter guns only two of them are not 20ga. Can’t explain it, just like shooting it I suppose. I do shoot 12ga almost exclusively for turkey but that gun is a magnum 12ga mossberg with a red dot. I’d rather leave that one alone since it’s already dialed.

I have a few buddies on a duck club that only shoot 20 and swear by it. I suppose it’s like anything else in the hunting world, everyone has their own preferences. I went ahead and put my name down on the 20ga ethos best. Between that and the sbe3 it just felt that much more comfortable to me. If it sucks then I’ll just have to buy another gun (great problem to have)

Thanks for that. As it stands I’ve got several cases of 20ga bismuth in various loads from 7 to 3 shot and a dozen or so boxes of tss turkey. The last few years I’ve been shooting BOSS 20ga. It’s knocked down everything I connect with from quail and dove to pheasant, ducks, rabbits and turkey. Out my 6 scatter guns only two of them are not 20ga. Can’t explain it, just like shooting it I suppose. I do shoot 12ga almost exclusively for turkey but that gun is a magnum 12ga mossberg with a red dot. I’d rather leave that one alone since it’s already dialed.

I have a few buddies on a duck club that only shoot 20 and swear by it. I suppose it’s like anything else in the hunting world, everyone has their own preferences. I went ahead and put my name down on the 20ga ethos best. Between that and the sbe3 it just felt that much more comfortable to me. If it sucks then I’ll just have to buy another gun (great problem to have)
Haha nice man! If it feels good to you then that's all that matters! Trust me I'm not knocking them..I've got my eye on a 20ga over under that I want for pheasant, quail, chukkar and grouse. Thankfully I saw more availability in upland loads then the duck loads. I might start picking some up as I see them before I get the gun just to have them once I pull the trigger on one.

I shoot a plain black affinity and can say that I really think I should of gotten the camo. I've since dropped it in mud and water and despite my best efforts it developed some rust dust near the end of the barrel by the bead. The rust discoloration is so distracting and mentally unsettling that I now miss all my shots and haven't killed anything in years. On top of that I'm pretty sure the ducks can see the rust and it causes many of them to flare.

The 870 express has done it all for me...yes..sadly..even ducks for the past 40 years or so... Duck shooter talk !! I love it!!.

Go to local sporting goods store..there you will find form #4473...it will tell you the names and address of the local residents who own guns....( Wolverine's)!! Red dawn for the fng,s

I was considering the a400. You guys moved me back into 12ga. Ordered in sportsmans!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu