SCOTUS ruling on 2nd A and the State of Hawaii

doccherry

May 7, 2021
Talked with my best friend in Hawaii [I lived in Kona for almost 15 years] yesterday. He's retired assistant superintendent of education in HI but now does what he and I loved to do, has a gunsmith/ammo shop and spends his days surrounded by firearms, shooting, and hunting. HI has some of the most restrictive handgun laws on the planet. I asked him about the SCOTUS 2nd Amendment ruling and he laughed. Told me he spoke to [or heard from] the Chief of Police for HI County and was told that HI will ignore the ruling and will not allow any handguns to be carried outside the physical household. I think this is the way that many states and counties will react and they will just keep on doing what they have always done. HI has a process for obtaining a concealed carry permit. Thousands of law-abiding citizens have applied [I personally know of several] and in the entire time I lived there not one single permit was granted.

Hope there is a class action suit against states and jurisdictions that think they are above the Constitution of the US.

Unfortunately I think this is the stance Cal. will take, and yes, if they do there will be suits filed against them. And as with all suits, they will be litigated forever. So for those out there who are considering applying for CCW permits, do you take the required classes need before you even submit your request or do you wait for the state to decide on what action it plans on taking.

I would think one would take the class, as this ruling only overrides the just cause hence it seems the class would still be required.

I would think one would take the class, as this ruling only overrides the just cause hence it seems the class would still be required.
Yes without a doubt the class is required., even under recent SCOTUS ruling. But, if Cal. goes the way of Hawaii, then the class would be meaningless. LA sheriff has said he is going to review the ruling and decide then how to handle CCW request. I will say, l he did relax permit request before the ruling, so I would hope he further relaxes the rules in accordance with new ruling. While the classes are not extremely expensive, they are not free.

HI, for example, does not even offer the class. When I moved there, I brought several handguns and then acquired several more over the next 12 or 13 years, all going thru the necessary paperwork and background checks. Did a lot of handgun target shooting. Then the County of HI [the Big Island where I lived] changed the laws. You could not take a handgun outside your physical residence until you took the handgun class. This had nothing to do with concealed carry, just the legal right to take a handgun [unloaded, locked in a case] outside the walls of your house. OK, so I went to sign up for the class. None were being offered because nobody was qualified to teach the class. A couple friends were NRA instructors and a couple more were instructors in the military and a couple more were law enforcement instructors. No good. HI would supply it's own instructors and regardless of your experience or background or any classes you took in other states, you have to take this class in the County of HI. This went on for some time and then they offered the class. The wait list was about a year long and it cost a couple hundred bucks. I said screw it and sold my handguns.

And how about this? HI does not have the Castle Law, which states that if somebody breaks into your home and poses a lethal threat, you may use lethal force to neutralize that threat. In HI, if you are the victim of a home invasion and the crooks put a gun to your head, you may not use lethal force if it is even remotely possible to negotiate with them or comply with their orders or if there is an open door or window for you to escape thru.

And you guys think that CA has restrictive laws?

Here's a thought experiment: SCOTUS bans CCW nationwide, a state like TX decides to ignore the ruling and issue CCWs. All of us here know what the media coverage would be.

Since we may have the opposite scenario if HI is indeed ignoring the ruling, then you'll hear crickets or even praise from anti-2A types.

Remember there is a double stander. Conservative, bad, evil. liberal good and godly.

Go to local sporting good store..collect form 4473...those will tell you who bad people are and where they live..

.....* Name the movie 16ers**!!! HA!!

Reactions: Hunt4lyf
With this 2nd Amendment ruling and with the Roe v Wade ruling, my old, disillusioned eyes see a shit storm brewing. Let me ask a question of all you SCH'ers---Do you think the USA will be more divided than ever in a year or do you see any hope for some degree of civility returning? Be honest---no political correctness [AKA bullshit].

Bonta(California AG) sent out a memo explicitly stating the opposite. Appearing to uphold what the Supreme Court ruled. But newsom and the state legislature will restrict more soon.

I have a permit from OC and have for years. It all depends on what county you're in and I would imagine the process would remain with county sheriffs. The only thing that will nominally change is the removal of good cause statement as a gatekeeper. All of the objective criteria remain in place; criminal records check, passing the training etc. What could be added is more reliance on “Good moral character” clauses which were not spoken to to the ruling. That would be things like social media history, lack of frivolous lawsuits, letters of reference in more PITA counties, etc. I think that counties that were difficult before will remain difficult to obtain permits in. CA will definitely designate more “sensitive places” like stadiums or maybe malls. But they have to be careful there because the SCOTUS ruling did caution against going too broadly there.

Our petulant child of a governor will be rolling out a “new carry law” within the next few weeks. We’ll see what he does. I have a feeling SCOTUS a will be watching CA and the 9th circuit closely so they’ll only be able to do so much to restrict permits or they’ll be another slew of lawsuits. CA is fighting about a dozen gun cases already.

Frank

Reactions: sportyg
They can't ignore it very long.

This ruling will expand our rights in ways much further than just CCW

The sh*t show is only beginning. As for good moral character, I'm as pure as the driven snow. No social media aside from a few hunting forums and I'm on vacation from one of them, never had a visit from the law, no speeding tickets, accidents, DUI, I don't drink or do any drugs, never had issues with neighbors. Pure as the driven snow behind the pearly gates.

Sh$t show is only going to get worse (much worse). Nothing is being accomplished just a bitch session from both sides. IMO I don't want Trump to run again. Too much bitching even though what he did was great but time to move on. Need new blood in every branch of government TERM LIMITS

Ii hate myself after reading your post John.. going to the 7pm service tonight at church..

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
Damn John....I have no chance of getting a CCW.......................... :joy:

Mike (Slinky)...I loved Trump, but I agree...A lot of folks voted against Trump for no other reason than they disliked him...:mad:

DeSantis will be my guy.............:clap:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu