Scouting advice

Macsteve

So I'm going to scout next weekend by myself with my newfound bow lease. I've found what seems to be a pretty remote area in d16 that is pretty far from the rec center and all that and the topo map shows a few small water spots. My plan is to hike in a few miles, look for some key things to match up, and setup a spot with branches and whatever else to secure a sitting area for my day.

What are some things I should look for?
Things to check when I think I have a good spot?
Things to bring?
Right now I'm planning on:
Knife
Pack
Foldable saw
Water
Bino's
Bow (maybe if there are some rabbits or small critters I can get some target practice on the way back)

I understand many people have trail cams that lead them to setting up where they want..but I don't for now.

Just when I thought I was far enough, I look up and see trail cameras or a tree stand. There really are no secret spots in the Laguna's. Bring a camera. Game is most active early and late in the day, especially with this heat.

Steve,

Sounds like you've got most things covered.....This may sound weird, but let someone know where you are going.....Bring your phone or GPS with you to see if you have reception.....Take pictures.....Your phone can do this for you (mine does not). So I always carry a camera (16X).

Couple more things I always have....At least 2 small flashlights, TP/baby wipes, thin gloves, small 1st aid kit, some kind of cord, and ChapStick.

Things to look for.....Rubs on thin limbed bushes, droppings, and tracks.

.IMG_4762.JPG pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 009.JPG IMG_4828.JPG

Is there a way to tell buck from doe tracks/drippings?

Got the phone covered w/ GPS and I have my entry point marked on it. I'll give the info to my girlfriend and tell her if she doesn't hear from me by 10pm maybe do something (that's a good fudge factor).

I also will carry my work phone turned off so if mine does I have it.

Always have first aid, always have paracord. Will bring TP & some throw away gloves. And therma cell/Chapstick

Where I'm going isn't Lagunas. I feel like that Area is going To be so dominated by archers there's no point. May change in rifle
Season inside of bow only area, idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The track I posted is a big heavy buck......Dew claws are a good sign of a buck track (Although a really heavy doe could probably do it in mud).....Doe tracks are always smaller and more pointed.

.020.JPG 018.JPG

Last edited:
42 years of hunting in just San Diego.....And I have never seen a mountain lion or an illegal.....Just sayin'

I've been Hunting 6 years and at the end of a trail up on the hill just starting to get light came over a rise 50yards down the road thought it was a coyote until it turned an ran with that distinctive long tail waving, now that's all I think of the night before a hunt

Last edited by a moderator:
so where I'm going is seemingly somewhat deep into the Cleveland national following a creek around. is it better for me to get up top and scout from the high elevation or to follow the creek close by and look for signs near it of tracks/scat etc?

In my mind, it should play like this:

Scouting trip 1: hiking along creek and surrounding areas looking for deer signs. mark signs on ONX Map

Scouting Trip 2: hike up elevation super early and see if deer show up down below at noted spot, annotate time etc..go down and create spot to hide in for hunting season

Hunt.

One more thing.....And I fear it more than lions or illegals.....Poison oak.....If you're walking in creek bottoms like you say.....Be totally covered.....Try not to touch eyes or face after touching pants or boots.

Rattlesnakes rank right up there too.....Seen lots of these.

42 years of hunting in just San Diego.....And I have never seen a mountain lion or an illegal.....Just sayin'

It's the ones you don't see that will get ya

Yesterday I was hanging a stand and my buddy had to go back to the truck. On the way there he spooked a lion it growled at him at 10'..... he pulled his 4" knife and let it walk off. He said he was shaking all the way to the truck. Then we had to have the SSS legal talk.....I told him he's lucky not many people have had that experience

I've seen a few lions & illegals down here most want nothing to do with you

Mark,

Oh, I know they're out there.....Never thought about a bear charging me while turkey hunting either.....o_O

Not to steal this thread but I think it belongs here. Scouted today and went deep. all the way to the bedroom deep. Found a hang out...bedding, big squishable poop, deer tracks that are dancing all over the place. This is located under a nice oak tree surrounded by bushes. However, no rubs to be found. Plenty of nice green sticks around but not one of them has a rub.

So the question is...should I move along since no positive sign of bucks?
hike up elevation super early and see if deer show up down below at noted spot, annotate time etc..go down and create spot to hide in for hunting season
I like elevation...you get to see and learn the normal movement of the herd from a far. You also see if there are bucks with the does.

I am going out to Los Padres this weekend.
I thought I would bring a bag of apples and place them in certain area on Saturday.
Plan to come back Sunday and see what I can see.
Anyone ever do this?

I am going out to Los Padres this weekend.
I thought I would bring a bag of apples and place them in certain area on Saturday.
Plan to come back Sunday and see what I can see.
Anyone ever do this?

Really?.....We have a number of new hunters on here and the fact that baiting in other states is legal could be costly to someone hunting in California.....Hope you're only kidding, but not really funny!

As far as I know it is not baiting until I start hunting.
I am simple looking for animal activity, not shooting anything.
I didn't think it was illegal or even unethical to do this.

Back