Scouting advice

Don't feed the wild life.... Plain and simple. It will be illegal if you or anyone else shoots over the bait..

The best person to ask is your local game warden. He is the one who is writing the tickets!
actually you need to take a poll between 5 wardens with sworn affidavits since they all have their own regulations, which you can then show a judge and have a chance.

There were some guys a few years ago who baited their private property for turkey before season. Just tossing seeds a few months in advance. Opening morning green pants came right on and wrote citations and I believe took firearms. I would never bait in CA you are asking for trouble all it takes is one guy to see you or stumble across that bag and a warden will be waiting for you during deer season.

yeah. and regarding the "unless I'm hunting comment". if I understand correctly, Deer are pattern minded. get a feast for a day or 2 in 1 spot and they will continue to return..so guess where the first spot you would likely look on deer season would be?

As far as I know it is not baiting until I start hunting.
I am simple looking for animal activity, not shooting anything.
I didn't think it was illegal or even unethical to do this.

I think it's illegal to feed any kind of wild animal, but I could be wrong better check regs.

Not to steal this thread but I think it belongs here. Scouted today and went deep. all the way to the bedroom deep. Found a hang out...bedding, big squishable poop, deer tracks that are dancing all over the place. This is located under a nice oak tree surrounded by bushes. However, no rubs to be found. Plenty of nice green sticks around but not one of them has a rub.

So the question is...should I move along since no positive sign of bucks?

I like elevation...you get to see and learn the normal movement of the herd from a far. You also see if there are bucks with the does.

You won't see many rubs....in all my years down here it's very rare on public land. Now I'd deffently hunt that area there are bucks in there it's just hard to tell by just tracks. Most of the time the really big tracks can be a buck.

I'd start walking the trails in that area to see what's going on. Also brush the tracks away so you can see what's been there since your last visit

I hunt mostly private property these days and I see lots of rubs......I even saw a buck this morning doing a scrape.....Also saw 2 bucks sparing.....Spike and a small forky.

1st pic is a bucks rubbing tree....2nd pic sparring.

.033.JPG 022.JPG 025.JPG

I can see the benefits to it. But it's quite out of my budget. I knew I should have just lived in a crappy apartment instead of buying a home @ 26 :poop:

There were some guys a few years ago who baited their private property for turkey before season. Just tossing seeds a few months in advance. Opening morning green pants came right on and wrote citations and I believe took firearms. I would never bait in CA you are asking for trouble all it takes is one guy to see you or stumble across that bag and a warden will be waiting for you during deer season.

So if I planted a plot of Tecomate seed on my own land in March I would be considered baiting when hunting season comes around?
That sounds really stupid. The regs even say, in so many words, if it is growing it is not baiting. Not buying that story at all. I call B.S.
Fairy tail or urban legend, one or the other.

Now it may be illegal to feed wild animals, I'll have to check, but that is a far cry from baiting.
So I guess the consensus is don't do it.

they didn't grow anything..they threw seed around for Turkey's to eat...reading comprehension?

I'm still not buying it.
The seeds would be long gone after several months.
So when they were hunting, there couldn't have been any seed left.

If the seed was still on the ground and not germinated, that would be baiting, yes I see that.

animals are pattern followers. if they keep going to a spot that produces and there isn't danger..they'll keep going back even if the spot is dry looking for food.

many many other states are not California dude.....hell we have special vehicles made for California just for emissions.

go ahead and drop your apples man, good luck.

A lot of the baiting issue is gray......There is no law that says you can't plant a food plot, apple orchard, pear orchard, berry patch, corn field, wheat field, etc.....What you can't do is manipulate the habitat.....For instance, cut the corn or wheat and leave it on the ground.....It's also illegal to feed wild animals, despite just about everyone having a bird feeder out (turkeys like them).....I would think putting apples out would be considered feeding deer.....And here's the confusing part. F & W code says bait must be removed 10 days before hunting.....What?

I was hunting Palomar one time and in the middle of nowhere, there's a pile of corn......Deer tracks all over the place.....I was with another guy and we got out of the area.....What if a warden had found that pile and was watching it and I had shot a deer 300 yds away and hadn't seen the corn yet?.....I think they call this area of influence.

I know some guys that got tickets in the IV on the dove opener a number of years ago.....Apparently there was a pile of grain that been dumped out of a train.....They had no idea it was there and there were a bunch of folks surrounding it (they got tickets too).....Despite not even being close to the pile, they got their tickets none the less ( area of influence).

Here's the baiting law as written the F & W code book

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#257_5

Reactions: xjon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu