Scouting Turkey

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
any one had luck locating turkeys in east county San Diego. , I do not want to know your spots.
just a quick survey on Turkey counts. I have not seen that many Turkeys this year. Just taking a Survey.
wondering if the Drought has taken it's toll.
Ghost

Lee,

Lots of posts/threads on this topic here on SCH.........Drought has taken it's toll.......I would say about a 1/3 of the turkeys we've had......With that said, we had excellent hunting on the Santa Ysabel Preserve this past week-end.......Lots of gobblers and even a few jakes were seen......2 jakes were taken.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    867.9 KB · Views: 50
Saw this tom someones yard pine valley, there were two other toms
and some hens behind bushes no pic, birds i think moving to privat
e property where theres food and water

Attachments

• Tom.jpg
    Tom.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 45
Ya thanks for the replies . I saw three Jake's this last week end. Normally I would see hundreds. including private & public.
seems like the numbers are down. Santa Ysabel looks good there. seems not as hard hit as the other areas..

Please people do not chase the birds by stalking. It just chases the birds away. Try to sit quietly, and listen to the early morning gobbles. I see so many hunters trying to stalk. It does work, but if to many hunters do it, it just pushes them out.

Ghost said:
Ya thanks for the replies . I saw three Jake's this last week end. Normally I would see hundreds. including private & public.
seems like the numbers are down. Santa Ysabel looks good there. seems not as hard hit as the other areas..

Please people do not chase the birds by stalking. It just chases the birds away. Try to sit quietly, and listen to the early morning gobbles. I see so many hunters trying to stalk. It does work, but if to many hunters do it, it just pushes them out.

Unfortunately, this is like telling guys to let birds work and not skyscape...... :(

I've been up in the Lagunas a couple of times and seen no sign at all in areas where last year there were several healthy groups. There was still water nearby, but narrowed down from a healthy creek to a hole here and there so I figure either predators got them or they moved out.

ilovesprig said:
Ghost said:

Unfortunately, this is like telling guys to let birds work and not skyscape...... :(

That pretty much sums it up. Unfortunately many people will disregard their own safety and consideration of others by stalking birds and bumping other hunters. Hopefully through education like turkey tune-ups and seminars, we can spread the word to as many hunters as possible and bring up our kids up with better understanding of proper hunting ethics.

Bonejour said:
I've been up in the Lagunas a couple of times and seen no sign at all in areas where last year there were several healthy groups. There was still water nearby, but narrowed down from a healthy creek to a hole here and there so I figure either predators got them or they moved out.
X2 I did a long hike the other day up there where birds used to be and found nothing. There's water but no sign. Tried the peacock call, crow call, no bites.

They're there in the Lagunas. We saw a couple while driving to another spot during the youth season. Check out the south and south western portions wink wink.

I've seen several nice toms the last couple months and set up a couple blinds and cameras out 4/5 weeks ago
with over 100 pics ea. We will see what the opener brings, good luck to all, pick a spot to the bow hunters Gobble,Gobble.

Attachments

• 2013-04-03 10.00.32.jpg
    2013-04-03 10.00.32.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20120414_102101.jpg
    20120414_102101.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
This NOT Orange Co. this morning................... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    837.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    682.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    790 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 50
Matagi said:
Wow Steve, that's a big bruiser! Anywhere near MCC?

Nope.......Did see a nice bird in old 21 though.......Seems to be slim pickin's over there......Hope I'll be surprised like the preserve this past week-end.

Old 21, one of my favorite spots! I saw a bunch across the street so probably starting to filter across the street. I really hope something changes also. I'll be up that way in the AM to listen on the old property.

Matagi said:
Old 21, one of my favorite spots! I saw a bunch across the street so probably starting to filter across the street. I really hope something changes also. I'll be up that way in the AM to listen on the old property.

So will I.......See ya in the morning,

DAMN........I think it's dragging.....

Saw only hens today.......1hen on PP that we normally see 20-9 with a few toms and jakes mixed in......bad year

Watch out for......and don't drink the green stuff........BUGS .......DID I MENTION BUGS!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
MJB said:
DAMN........I think it's dragging.....

Saw only hens today.......1hen on PP that we normally see 20-9 with a few toms and jakes mixed in......bad year

Watch out for......and don't drink the green stuff........BUGS .......DID I MENTION BUGS!
Leaves of three, let it be

candy store should be the place to go for this weekend....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu