scouting

Ya' ain't gonna' kill a biggin' if ya' settle for mediocrity. That was our problem in AZ. Hail to the hunter who is not afraid of tag-soup!

ate my share..passed up on a cactus that was easy over 200..never took a shot at an elk in N.M.shot a true giant of a bull here and some lowlife scumbag cut the horns off before we could find it..

Wow what a pride-less piece of flesh to take the antlers off from another pesron's hard work. That takes the cake.

Pass on the cactus buck ??? ??? ??? Only on the strip man! anywhere else and that buck is a smokin' heap!

Got good story about someone tagging anothers elk. A good friend of mine who hunts Wyoming frequently with the same guide had put an elk on the ground across a canyon, by the time they got to it another hunter had ran up and tagged it, when they confronted him he wouldnt back down (had a big buddy with him) The outfitter repeatedly told him that it wasnt his and he needed to go away, the dirt bag wouldnt back off so the outfitter said fine its yours and you can have it (it was a nice 6x6) the outfitter walked over to his saddle bag and grabbed a hachet then broke the antlers into little bitty pieces and told the dirt bag to enjoy himself and rode off.

Hey Fred,

Do you remember that Bull elk I shot in Montana. The one that I put Volkswagen size holes through with my .338. Then that old dude started shooting a .270 at it about 500 yards away, walked over and said it was his. I shot that Fugger from 75 yards away - coming off the hill.

I shot another one 2 days later. So who had more fun? ;D

People are just something else!

Yea , yea that was the first trip up ala Renny's invite, Most fun I ever had while suffering from frost brite (kidding) My first interlude with elk and we got a pretty good show -snow storm that started at the Utah line on the drive up- sub zero conditions - hip deep snow- still think about frequently, do it again in a heart beat

Ya' me to Fred. That was a hell of a trip. One of my all time favorites! I think we shot 8 elk and 6 deer if I remember correctly. And yes, it was cold like I have never experienced. Good thing we did our homework and bought the good gear!

Snake Charmer said:
Got good story about someone tagging anothers elk. A good friend of mine who hunts Wyoming frequently with the same guide had put an elk on the ground across a canyon, by the time they got to it another hunter had ran up and tagged it, when they confronted him he wouldnt back down (had a big buddy with him) The outfitter repeatedly told him that it wasnt his and he needed to go away, the dirt bag wouldnt back off so the outfitter said fine its yours and you can have it (it was a nice 6x6) the outfitter walked over to his saddle bag and grabbed a hachet then broke the antlers into little bitty pieces and told the dirt bag to enjoy himself and rode off.

That DIRT BAG was just looking for bragging rights.He probably left it after that.(broken antlers)

that wasnt my my 1st "go-round" with jackasses in the field...in '98 I was on the Kaibab and shot what would still be my biggest buck ever,a 26" wide deep forked 4x4 that was between 185-190...tracked him for 4 hours down a draw that lead right to a camp with my buck hanging and caped..I pulled the guys deer bag off and showed him the hole in the ribcage from my arrow...I said to the idiot show me where you shot him and ill leave right now. He couldn't show me any holes and refused to give me the buck.I left, hunted down a gamey went back and he was gone...

I've heard of that with doves, but an elk. That's ridiculous! Sounds like you gave it to him. I assume the bull you took later was a super stud right?

Wow, good story about jackasse's I had the good foutune to help on a hunt in the Kaibab last year, I had traveled through there over the years as tourist but never investigated it as a hunter. The time I spent there and the challenge of hunting that kind of terrain (mostly pine forest in the early hunt) was quite humbling, We ("JustMyGame" and I) did get on two good deer but couldnt close the deal. If I were to put in for that hunt I'd choose the late hunt in hopes the weather would push them down into the desert but if you are a non resident good luck with that....

UNBELIEVABLE morning of scouting..went to 2 different areas and saw 124 deer..in the past week the bucks have started to separate themselves and herd up some does..necks are starting to swell...gettin close!!!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu