Sept. 1st.....It's go time

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, the Oh 'fficial opening day of hunting season is less than a month away.....I've been out quite a bit to the IV and there seems to be a $hit load of birds this year..... :clap:

One thing I've noticed is, how many mourning doves are in cut and dried bermuda fields....White-wings are in the usual places, cut corn, wheat, and sunflowers....Daytime roosts are always the same with dead trees being their favorites............:blush:

Scouting is always the key..............;)

IV dove '24.JPG

Last edited:
Steve, sounds like you were maybe in the north valley around Wister and the DFW fields. I didn’t see that many mournings the other day in the mid valley area. Although a 3 acre tree cluster next to a cut corn field was absolutely loaded with white wings. There were a few ECDs mixed in, but it would’ve been trouble if I tried to shoot em because white wings look so similar to me when they’re flying.

Kevin,

I've been mostly on the west side near Westmoreland...I haven't been near Wister yet...May go out there Wednesday.

Well, the Oh 'fficial opening day of hunting season is less than a month away.....I've been out quite a bit to the IV and there seems to be a $hit load of birds this year..... :clap:

One thing I've noticed is, how many mourning doves are in cut and dried bermuda fields....White-wings are in the usual places, cut corn, wheat, and sunflowers....Daytime roosts are always the same with dead trees being their favorites............:blush:

Scouting is always the key..............;)

View attachment 62624
That place looks familiar.

I just got a room for opener in El Centro. Haven;t been there in 10 years. Any pay hunts down there or just scout? Anyone wants to ride dow2n with me call 818 489-2464 Leaving afternnon of 31st around 1pm from sfv PS been dove hunting for 60 years rERTURNING TO SFV MON MORNING AFTER HUNT

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamRoper

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu