Shooting Sticks vs Bipods vs Tripod - For BACKPACK Hunting - What works best? Let's Compare!

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
So far I've been using the Kwik Stix shooting sticks. I also have a Primos Trigger Stick Tall Monopod, and a Bog Pod Bipod.
But there are other options on the Horizon, which I have to assume work better.

Been considering a sling-swivel-stud Bipod that goes up to a kneeling-position height with it.

Another platform I've been heavily considering is the Primos Trigger Stick Tri-Pod. But have to determine if the shorter one is enough, or do I go all-in for the Tall Tripod?

So to that end, I'm hoping to ask others which they went with. And what they like about it. And what they don't like about it.

I ran a tall Harris bi pod on my rifle last season. It’s heavy but in a tall grass situation it came through on a deer hunt. Shooting off a tripod unless it is under 200 can be a little tricky. I suggest practicing off a tri pod there isn’t much contact there to stay stable. Nothing beats a good tree, rock, or backpack in my book.

I have the Primos Jim Shockey Trigger Stick tripod and it's been great. When I sit and glass for deer I can steady my binos on top, then if I need to shoot I just swap out for my rifle. And it's come in handy as a single walking stick for helping me down a steep hill with weight on my back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a cheapy tri pod , Allens,
but it works.
Better than with out.
How ever it could be better.
I am going to experiment by modifying it,
so when I a lay the rifle on it will
Be Rock steady. With out significant weight. I hunt in hilly brushy areas.
It would be difficult to use a rifle bi-pod on the rifle. Plus with rigamortis
Difficult to lay prone on a hunt.
I like to sit with my little folding tri seat. If I going still hunt that is.

Last edited:
I like to roll the truck window down halfway and use it and the corner of the window sill. ;)
That too NBK!! Time is of the essence in most cases..they aint glued to the pasture!!

If the brush or other flora or fawna are high, I have an attachment for my glassing tripod that I put on and shoot from that. It works well but does add a little weight to your pack. If I have a place I can put my pack down on, I will shoot off that. No one thing I have found will work best 100% of the time. Options are good.

Years past I would pick rocky boulders with just my head visible. I would hold steady on a rock. Worked great.
And I would be high shooting down hill.
So movement from shivering wouldn't be problem. LOL

I have a friend with a swagger bipod and he loves it. tall enough to kneel/sit. I think what they have going for them is the ability to swivel while staying planted so you can follow track your target without have to pickup/reset or drag your bipod legs.

only problem I have with them is they aren't cheap, and they are bulky. But they seem to have a lot of benefits other bipods don't have.

I really love my Easton “Ballisticks” shooting sticks. Unfortunately I don’t believe they make them anymore. Have killed many deer off of those from a seated position and they extend to full height and I shot my D19 buck from a standing position this year. I carry those and a single carbon fiber trekking pole. After a kill I use the sticks as my second trekking pole. The only thing that would make them better is if the two legs came apart and I could use each leg for a pole on the way out.

For an absurdly light bipod check out the Spartan Javelin bipod. I am considering getting one of these for my new rifle that I’ll pick up from Fine Firearms next week. The short one is something like 5 ounces. They are pretty pricey though, and shooting off a pack works pretty dang good. But for those of you that really like shooting prone off a bipod you should take a look.

Regarding shooting off of a tripod and managing the balance of the rifle with a single rest point in the middle of the gun... if you can have the sling hanging down, apply pressure on the sling straight down. Because the sling attaches to the front and rear of the rifle, direct downward pressure will stop any “seesaw” motion surprisingly well. It’s not something I’d plan to shoot off of regularly but it works well if you have a quick opportunity and don’t have time to set up something better. Not sure if I explained that well. Can post a picture if needed.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
The most important aspect of shooting sticks is no doubt..the ability to use them for the money shots..a must piece of equipment for the truck!!! If you are not using them for this application..you are not using them correctly.

.Resized_IMG_20160123_133045676.jpegResized_IMG_20160816_062628449_HDR.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu