Short hunt with SIG Sauer Break Barrel

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Hey guys, Several weeks ago I received the New SIG Sauer ASP20 Magnum break barrel rifle in .22 caliber. This rifle gained a ton of attention since the last Shot Show and was one I really wanted to field use. The ASP20 was shipped to me directly from the SIG Sauer facility in Newington, New Hampshire. This rifle is produced in the same manufacturing facility as their firearms and has incorporated some of that engineering into it. Designing the ASP20 was a collaboration between both the SIG Air and Firearms divisions. Together they wanted to create an accurate, powerful and fun to shoot Air Rifle.

tfyxAxx.jpg

The rifle came packaged very well and included a small allen wrench, trigger adjustment tool and users manual. I cleaned the barrel and mounted a Leapers UTG 3-12×44 scope onto the very sturdy picatinny top rail. This rifle is a magnum and have found that the UTG usually stands up pretty well to the recoil these guns produce. The picatinny rail is directly welded to the top of the receiver and looks to be a great solid mounting point for a variety of optics. (NOTE) I did a ton of testing at the range that I have documented through video at bottom for those that care to look. The following day I packed the Jeep to head several hours South to a familiar location to hunt the California Ground Squirrel.

REiUmrx.png

This area has many rocks, fallen trees and miles of pastures that offer excellent cover for the many Ground Squirrels that call this place home. Much of this area has been heavily impacted by the damage these varmints cause.

LKlhx6n.png

Early Spring is usually the best time to hunt ground squirrels, although they are fairly active on most warm days throughout the year. Marley and I unpacked the Jeep and wasted no time setting out from camp to a few known areas.

IaFEbap.png

Within about 10 minutes I could hear the distant bark of a Ground Squirrel sunning himself up in some large rock outcroppings. Marley and I slowly made our way under a large Oak tree where I was able to spot one at 40 yards up on a rock.

3xml6aI.png

7D7Pgz8.png

I made the shot a bit low and sent it right into it’s shoulder with a loud echoing THWACK!!! Sounded like a catchers mitt. Marley and I took a short break under the Oak tree to film part of the enclosed video, this area is really pretty this time of year.

WbGbClw.png

After a short bit of time filming we hiked up into the rocks that proved to be quite difficult carrying the rifle and all my camera gear. The ASP20 carries very nice, the checkering really became apparent when my hands had become so sweaty from hiking. “I really enjoy field use because I can always find things about a rifle that simply will never be found from a bench review.” Marley and I made our way over the mountain that led us back down a small animal trail onto the valley floor. This area had more large rock outcroppings that hopefully would give us some better opportunities. The day was a bit overcast so the squirrels were simply not very active in the usual spots. As we slowly walked a small cattle trail I finally spotted one at 55 yards moving around on some rocks. The Squirrel was partially obstructed by a bush but I was still able to make a good headshot that put it down with authority.

xAppgkh.png

R9F355v.png

Marley was quick to recover the Ground Squirrel, not an easy task as it was wedged between two rocks.

r2dvwn7.jpg

By 2:30pm the wind was starting to pick up and it was time for Marley and I to head several miles back to the Jeep. This was a great little hunt, I wish we had some more action but I was just pleased to be out with a great Airgun and my little companion. Marley and I headed several hours back home where I would get to spend the next week editing some video and photos. I had a nice short little hunt with this break barrel, been awhile since i've used one. Nice to see another American Made Air rifle set for the market. Here is my full video review for those who may have interest!

Thanks for the review and write up. I’m looking for a good break barrel.

You *might* want to check the documentation on that rifle. For Umarex Octane they expressly tell you NOT to place your hand on the silencer part when cocking it. (6:20 in your vid). For safety sake, might be worth double-checking that with their manual?

Great report.
For the record, iown two leapers one 3-9x40 and a 4-12x44. They have been awesome scopes. Resist the recoil of my Diana 48 very well. They have never lost the calibration. I have mounted them on high power rifles and performed perfectly.

Reactions: Crosman999
Great report.
For the record, iown two leapers one 3-9x40 and a 4-12x44. They have been awesome scopes. Resist the recoil of my Diana 48 very well. They have never lost the calibration. I have mounted them on high power rifles and performed perfectly.
Thanks! Yeah I don't dislike Leapers at all, pretty durable but the glass isn't the best quality. The glass isn't really noticeably bad until you look through a tier one scope. Lol kinda got spoiled and haven't looked back.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Thanks! Yeah I don't dislike Leapers at all, pretty durable but the glass isn't the best quality. The glass isn't really noticeably bad until you look through a tier one scope. Lol kinda got spoiled and haven't looked back.
That is true.
I cannot afford high end scopes but I also own a Nikon and a Vortex ( entry levels) Man... what a difference, but still, like you said, Leapers are not bad.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu