Side Arms

aeverett152

Oct 4, 2020
Murrieta
After all my years hunting, backpacking, scouting, and fishing I decided to wise up and get a side arm (glock 19). As I am getting older with responsibilities with family, kids, and work it is VERY important that I come home at the end of each day. I already have had one "run in" with a lion and securing a life insurance policy out in the field makes my wife, and myself feel much better about getting out for my solo days. I mainly rifle hunt so carrying while hunting shouldn't be an issue, but as we all know archery deer hunting we cannot carry.

Is CCW the loophole to carry while archery hunting?

Those of you that are already carrying side arms in the field are you using holsters? chest mounts? Fanny packs lol? interested to hear what you all utilize.

Consider disability insurance as well. If you die, your wife can move on, as terrible as that is. If you get hurt or sick (including cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc...) it likely takes her out of the workforce to care for you, the family, and everything else while on a reduced income and increased expenses for who knows how long.

Consider disability insurance as well. If you die, your wife can move on, as terrible as that is. If you get hurt or sick (including cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc...) it likely takes her out of the workforce to care for you, the family, and everything else while on a reduced income and increased expenses for who knows how long.
I have one through my employer. As I am getting older def making sure all basis are covered.

I do not believe that a CCW is a loop hole in the no carry while archery deer hunting reg. I do know some that choose to carry concealed regardless. Another good addition to your side arm and ins policy is an inReach (or similar) device.

Reactions: aeverett152
And I meant to be not allowed to carry while bow hunting. I worried more about other hunters who shoot at movement with out verifying the target. All ways use binoculars.
When I was young I had a guy all most take me out , I was lucky I saw him first then he pointed a rifle at me. Lucky for me I was agile back then hit the ground flat chested. Bullet just missed my head, felt the wind velocity. He then ran up and ask where his deer was. I stopped hunting for a few years. I had a wife and two kids to tale care of.

• Wow
Reactions: YETI and ilovesprig
If you have a CCW you can carry but must be concealed, can have lead bullets also. I carry bear spray when archery hunting but those lions and black bears arent going to mess with you, The chances of getting killed in an attack is like getting bit by a shark or struck by lighting, your going to see lots of lighting in a storm but the chance of it killing you is very low. if its your time its your time, all mental until then. I made my peace with it.

If you are carrying outside of archery season without a CCW you need to be open carrying. I will carry on my hip or leg when i do but usually only when i will be camping and its more for protection inside the tent overnight than in the field. Just added weight to hike around with in my opinion if your not hunting with it.

PS - stay off the lion, bear, and snake postings online, dont let them get in your head. The greenies post that crap every year.

If you have a CCW you can carry but must be concealed, can have lead bullets also. I carry bear spray when archery hunting but those lions and black bears arent going to mess with you, The chances of getting killed in an attack is like getting bit by a shark or struck by lighting, your going to see lots of lighting in a storm but the chance of it killing you is very low. if its your time its your time, all mental until then. I made my peace with it.

Although I do fully agree with ""when its your time, it's your time. Tell the mother in NorCal that is celebrating Mother's Day tomorrow with one less son that the chances of an attack are too small to consider or plan for. One of her sons was severely injured and the other died trying to save his brother. The point is: that it is a possibility no matter how small the percentage. Wisdom = being prepared.

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to carry a a firearm with you while deer hunting regardless of ccw unless you are a sworn officer of the law.

Wondering how many bears and lions folks have actually killed that are viewing this topic...or how many folks have been attacked? I've never been attacked...have I been in situations where I could and should have been, yes .but if you hunt them enough ..there will be pucker moments...but remember...man is the ultimate predator...and chance favors the prepared mind ...I think...so far so good..

Wondering how many bears and lions folks have actually killed that are viewing this topic...or how many folks have been attacked? I've never been attacked...have I been in situations where I could and should have been, yes .but if you hunt them enough ..there will be pucker moments...but remember...man is the ultimate predator...and chance favors the prepared mind ...I think...so far so good..
I can’t wait to get you on the cast

Those of you that are already carrying side arms in the field are you using holsters? chest mounts? Fanny packs lol? interested to hear what you all utilize.

Good that you are thinking of safety and the family. I’ve carried a side arm in a holster while hunting upland / big game and fishing for 2 decades. Switched in recent years to a full-size 10mm in a kenai kydex chest holster setup. The chest holster is a game changer for me personally in terms of comfort, functionality and draw. I carry all the time hunting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Over the years, I’ve encountered 4 mtn lions and several bear, and fortunately have never had an issue.

On a related note, recently watched an episode of Yellowstone Wardens where a black bear stared a lone trout fisherman down from 200 yards across a small lake. The fisherman gave all the loud warnings and even fired a warning shot. The bear didn’t flinch, and then gave full charge towards him. Luckily the fisherman had a pistol and the bear died just a few feet from him at full charge. Better to have it and not need it…

And I meant to be not allowed to carry while bow hunting. I worried more about other hunters who shoot at movement with out verifying the target. All ways use binoculars.
When I was young I had a guy all most take me out , I was lucky I saw him first then he pointed a rifle at me. Lucky for me I was agile back then hit the ground flat chested. Bullet just missed my head, felt the wind velocity. He then ran up and ask where his deer was. I stopped hunting for a few years. I had a wife and two kids to tale care of.
Crazy! Last year on opening day I had a similar experience. I glassed up another hunter at several hundred yards thinking he was looking at me through his binos only to realize he was looking at me through his rifle scope. Luckily he didn’t shoot

If you are carrying outside of archery season without a CCW you need to be open carrying. I will carry on my hip or leg when i do but usually only when i will be camping and its more for protection inside the tent overnight than in the field. Just added weight to hike around with in my opinion if your not hunting with it.

PS - stay off the lion, bear, and snake postings online, dont let them get in your head. The greenies post that crap every year.
Do you happen to have a reference? I always open carry with a chest rig when hunting with a gun but going into my first archery season, I would like to carry my sidearm. I have a CCW permit and I wasn’t able to find anything online to confirm if it’s legal.

Do you happen to have a reference? I always open carry with a chest rig when hunting with a gun but going into my first archery season, I would like to carry my sidearm. I have a CCW permit and I wasn’t able to find anything online to confirm if it’s legal.
Last time I read the req's
It's not legal, only for Leo's

Good that you are thinking of safety and the family. I’ve carried a side arm in a holster while hunting upland / big game and fishing for 2 decades. Switched in recent years to a full-size 10mm in a kenai kydex chest holster setup. The chest holster is a game changer for me personally in terms of comfort, functionality and draw. I carry all the time hunting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Over the years, I’ve encountered 4 mtn lions and several bear, and fortunately have never had an issue.

On a related note, recently watched an episode of Yellowstone Wardens where a black bear stared a lone trout fisherman down from 200 yards across a small lake. The fisherman gave all the loud warnings and even fired a warning shot. The bear didn’t flinch, and then gave full charge towards him. Luckily the fisherman had a pistol and the bear died just a few feet from him at full charge. Better to have it and not need it…
Exactly. Like I mentioned in the original post I have already have had one run in with a lion, and it was def trying to get the hell out of dodge when it realized I noticed it. But its more than just the critters. There is always illegal activity from humans in the national forests and would rather be prepared and not have to use it at all.

Reactions: Hoghead and Lenny

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu