SoCal biggest and best

I think Hatchet has shot pigs with bigger tusks than that...… LOL

Beauty of a buck Ridge Runner!

Biggest so far = 2016, my 2nd buck ever. Was sitting on the Tripod stool with leafy gear on. Had my eyes closed for a bit, letting them rest. Head drooped down a lil. Just letting my ears be on alert. At some point heard something, opened eyes and looked up without moving head... Doe crossing the long gap between trees. Figured keep eyes open, maybe a buck might be following. Rotate just eyes over to my right... Oh Heck Yeah! Even looking thru the scraggly dead branches hanging down from this Oak I could CLEARLY see he was legal. Didn't know yet he only had one side. I try to slowly move and raise rifle... didn't move very much at all and saw that his body tensed like he saw and recognized my movement. Froze. All the while his chic is gettin' away, so it put pressure on him. Eventually he decided to trot across the gap. Mistake!

Let one loose with Marlin 336BL .30-30. Was taking far too long to steady the crosshairs so shot was at quite an angle coming in just under last rib... blew like maybe 1.25" hole thru liver... completely decimated righthand side lung... bullet got trapped under far side scapula. Upon initially taking the shot... I was trippin out hard because he didn't flinch!! I felt dumb-founded! I was thinking WTH... there's NO WAY I could've missed that!!!

As he's running away, maybe 15yds away he begins to not let his opposite forelimb touch the ground... I felt a great relief at seeing this. But still no exit wound so no blood trail. Watched him like a hawk.. committed to memory exactly where he went out of view. It was almost 9am and already like 90-95 degrees, so as soon as he ran outta view it was off with the leafy suit and switch out to my hike-out shirt. This old comfy No Fear Jersey that's seen many two-wheeled adventures. Took a bit of looking to find this guy. Since only half the antlers...the way he fell..ya didn't have any antlers sticking up like a sore thumb to mark where he went down. Was getting nervous on the 2nd loop around scanning the area. Felt soo relieved when I found him!

Since it was so hot this was the first one I actually gutted. And because of the time of day I had to move everything like 3-4 times to remain under the shade while processing him.
IMG_0260.JPG

ps i tried to find my bad boy tshirt for the photo but damn if the help did not wash it after last weekend

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu