SoCal Spring Turkey Tune-Up...March 6th

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Hi guys,

The NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up at Lake Sutherland was not allowed this year (Covid)...But the good folks at Lake Henshaw Resort said we could have it on their property...The admission fee is $10.00 (cash only as of right now)

The event is March 6th and starts at 8:00 am in the Henshaw campground...The format will be basically the same, with the exception of having the draw for the Sutherland hunts...In lieu of those hunts, we will be raffling off hunts on MCC and VID lands (5)...We will also have a drawing for a pig hunt, fishing with boat on Henshaw, week-end with cabin provided, guns, and many other great prices...Vendors (including Turner's) and Flydown Custom turkey calls will be there too...We will also have a shooting range set-up to pattern your shotgun and the archery field is right near the event as well.

It will be a great morning with lots of like minded folks...Turkey season will be here before we know it... :blush:

.001.PNG

Last edited:
Just saw this on FB. I'm glad someone stepped up!!

Any idea if Sutherland will refund or honors those who were drawn last year? My GF drew and we were suppose to hunt but haven't heard anything back from them.

Just saw this on FB. I'm glad someone stepped up!!

Any idea if Sutherland will refund or honors those who were drawn last year? My GF drew and we were suppose to hunt but haven't heard anything back from them.

Refunds were sent out per the city and I know folks that received them...Right now Mag 1 (Mark) is working with the city on payment for this years hunts...Right now, we're stuck on this point.

We have to be very careful working with the city (& county) with regards to hunting on their property...Rocking the boat now could be the hunts in jeopardy...NWTF will try to work something with folks that said they didn't get their refund.

Thanks for all your hard work on this! See you there! I will have to bring you some snack sticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig
This is awesome news! I couldn’t see on the attached flyer, but is there any pre-registration or just show up on event day with the admission fee?

Thanks again for all the hard work. I can only imagine the efforts to keep this going this year.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
This is awesome news! I couldn’t see on the attached flyer, but is there any pre-registration or just show up on event day with the admission fee?

Thanks again for all the hard work. I can only imagine the efforts to keep this going this year.

If I'm not mistaken you will just need to show up with cash in hand.

Lots of behind the scenes work definitely goes on for these events!

Sent from my

This will be a cash event. We will have raffles gun draws and a pig hunt so bring your CASH.

Last edited by a moderator:
For guys that are new to the area (especially military)...This is your chance to talk directly to Cleveland NF rangers and biologists at their booth...We will also have CDFW wardens here...Great time to ask questions about California law...We will also have a turkey hunting info booth...Local hunters that know the area.

Either Joe Slaton or Josh Kettl will give calling demonstrations...Buying a good turkey call is one thing...Having someone there to show you how to use it is another.

The hunts donated at this time include 3 guided/hosted on the MCC hunting property (donated by Dan Lowry, Josh Kettl, & yours truly)...The other 2 hunts are on VID that does NOT get hunted...If you've ever been to Henshaw Resort and see all those turkeys next to it...That's one of the hunts...When Michael Waddell wanted to film a hunt in Cali...This was the spot we took him (guided by Josh Kettl)...The other spot will be behind the campground (2nd pic a couple of days ago).

No other hunting event in all of SoCal...I'm pumped!

.michael waddell hunt 2011 024.JPG239.JPG

Last edited:
The success of these events directly contribute to our local NWTF chapters ability to support conservation efforts, local community donations, and future recurring events such as these. This past year Covid-19 seriously impacted the National NWTF Organizations ability to sustain itself, many chapters donated funds to keep NWTF National afloat. Last I saw, The San Diego NWTF Chapter was the ONLY local chapter within the State of CA to significantly contribute to NWTF National when they asked for help. We were also able to fund the purchase of Turkeys for the VFW Ramona’s annual Thanksgiving meals they prep and sell to the local community to support their operations, we also directly donated funds to support VFW Ramona operations, and Ramona’s Pregnancy Care Clinic during the Holiday Season. The Turkey Tune-up, J.A.K.E.S Event, and San Diego NWTF Chapter Banquet allow our local NWTF chapter the ability to continue supporting future events, and an opportunity to give back… Your participation and support is appreciated!

The success of these events directly contribute to our local NWTF chapters ability to support conservation efforts, local community donations, and future recurring events such as these. This past year Covid-19 seriously impacted the National NWTF Organizations ability to sustain itself, many chapters donated funds to keep NWTF National afloat. Last I saw, The San Diego NWTF Chapter was the ONLY local chapter within the State of CA to significantly contribute to NWTF National when they asked for help. We were also able to fund the purchase of Turkeys for the VFW Ramona’s annual Thanksgiving meals they prep and sell to the local community to support their operations, we also directly donated funds to support VFW Ramona operations, and Ramona’s Pregnancy Care Clinic during the Holiday Season. The Turkey Tune-up, J.A.K.E.S Event, and San Diego NWTF Chapter Banquet allow our local NWTF chapter the ability to continue supporting future events, and an opportunity to give back… Your participation and support is appreciated!
Very well said

Reactions: SDLIVIN

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu