*SOLD* 2010 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Access Cab with Pickup Shell - $11900 (Vista, CA) *SOLD*

For me, 0 times in over 20 years. I like those odds.
You have never been where I have gone. Many of My friends with 4WD had to get towed, Usually by me. They mainly got stuck because of dumb moves on their behalf. Three or four of us got through okay, next one pulled a stupid move, like stopping in over a foot of mud, or talcum powder sand.

You have never been where I have gone.
Not knowing all of the places that you have been, this could be true. It's equally likely that you have never been where I have gone. I have battled some of the worst mud on planet earth. Some prominent figures on this site even claim that 4WD is irrelevant in that mud.

They mainly got stuck because of dumb moves on their behalf. Three or four of us got through okay, next one pulled a stupid move, like stopping in over a foot of mud, or talcum powder sand.

Agree, 90% of getting stuck is driver error.

Mike,

Jeff & Mike stuck in a flat cow pasture on MCC...The big dog to the rescue........:joy:

.View attachment 54731View attachment 54732View attachment 54733
Steve that reminds me of a time, way back when, up at Baldwin Lake. My friend had just got a new, used, Blazer and wanted to go 4 wheeling. We drove of the black top and headed for the shore of the lake, the lake level had been dropping rather fast and left a lot of exposed muddy shoreline. I look over at him and said, JEFF, where in the F are you going, about that time we started to sink, right to the underside of the truck. We were F*#ked. he had a pair of snow shoes he had used on a trip to the snow. He put them on, walked to dry land and tossed them back and I did the same. The people on the road above us were laughing the asses off at our predicament. It took two cases of beer,$200 and two tow trucks to get us out. When ever we went 4 wheeling with Jeff, we had to allow for extra time getting him out of bad situations. Those were the good old days.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Whatever truck that is replacing this is it going to be a 4x4 ? that’s what I keep asking.
Maybe, but why do you ask?
I'm not saying that everyone should drive 2WD vehicles. It doesn't bother me at all if you think you need 4WD.
If you are running a heavy full size truck, you might need 4x4.
There are reasons, which are covered extensively on other forums, why the off-road community overwhelmingly chooses Tacoma's and Wranglers over other vehicles.

I am saying that there a pros and cons to 2WD vs 4WD, and that I am very satisfied with money I saved going with 2WD with Auto LSD on this truck.
Again, in over 200k miles, I have never need 4x4 on THIS truck.
If I thought i needed 4WD, I would have sold this truck a long time ago.

If only she could talk..heavy hitter

.Screenshot_20220713-130233.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ilovesprig
Steve that reminds me of a time, way back when, up at Baldwin Lake. My friend had just got a new, used, Blazer and wanted to go 4 wheeling. We drove of the black top and headed for the shore of the lake, the lake level had been dropping rather fast and left a lot of exposed muddy shoreline. I look over at him and said, JEFF, where in the F are you going, about that time we started to sink, right to the underside of the truck. We were F*#ked. he had a pair of snow shoes he had used on a trip to the snow. He put them on, walked to dry land and tossed them back and I did the same. The people on the road above us were laughing the asses off at our predicament. It took two cases of beer,$200 and two tow trucks to get us out. When ever we went 4 wheeling with Jeff, we had to allow for extra time getting him out of bad situations. Those were the good old days.

John,

I think we've all done some stupid things off roading...This is a 100 yds off of Davis Rd near Wister and my 2 wheel drive van (not that it mattered)...Miracle we got out......... :joy:

ps...Good thing I had some of the kids with me...Strong backs, weak minds....;)

.Wister mud june 3, 2003.jpg

Much better door and window support on the newer models.
Just need a good hood...that burn mark on the driver's side of hood did not get there over night...many..many..years of stability..and an ungodly amount of carnage.....I had to start wearing an elbow pad and long sleeves...my arm was getting burnt also....the newer jeeps are for girls...

Just need a good hood...that burn mark on the driver's side of hood did not get there over night...many..many..years of stability..and an ungodly amount of carnage.....I had to start wearing an elbow pad and long sleeves...my arm was getting burnt also....the newer jeeps are for girls...
Girls huh? Rumor has it they are just as bad as the boys....

That's the Salton Sea in the background. It was about 105* and they didn't speak English. They are lucky I can't keep my eyes on the road and scout every second possible :joy:

Salton Sea to Havasu 17'.PNG

Amen, Matty......................... :clap:

.scan043.jpg

Reactions: HATCHET1 and 180ls1
Girls are definitely way cooler than boys!!Screenshot_20220710-183755.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MAG 1
Should had a 2wheel drive dude!! ... too soon?
Haha, got the value out the 4WD there. :joy:
Shorter wheelbase is where its at.

This has got to be the most interesting classified SCH has ever had.
Cant wait to see where it goes next!

PS: I think we can make it to at least 60 comments.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu