Some trout for the smoker

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Went out to santee lakes yesterday with @Mattydoesntknow to do some trout fishing. He had never been there before and hadn't fished in a number of years so I was hoping to get into some action. After walking around and trying a few spots and talking to a couple people and getting some tips we started hitting them. Everyone around seemed to be getting into them to. We probably saw close to 30 trout taken in just a couple hours. I was able to bring in 3 and Matt landed 2 but one broke off the line. I landed 2 off of powerbait and 1 off a mini jig that a guy gave me for helping him with my net when he was catching them. Overall we saw lots of action, the ranger even caught a couple guys in our area who were fishing without permits and they left real quick leaving behind a stringer full of fish. It was a pretty eventful day at the lake. Now I plan to brine and smoke them whole. I've never done it before but thought I'd give it a shot and maybe make a smoked trout dip.

20181215_215550.jpg

20181215_215615.jpg

20181214_162513.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-1325751727.jpg
    Snapchat-1325751727.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181214_110130.jpg
    20181214_110130.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20181214_162513.jpg
    20181214_162513.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 12
Thanks LB! I'm gonna do a hot smoke on them. I saw a video on it and the temp they ran was around 170°.

I'm open to any tips or suggestions if any has done this before. I'm not going to fillet them or debone, just smoke whole.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I no expert but I do hot smoking.
Works best with skin removed.
And thin as possible. Personal preference I cut a way the skin, and cut fish into two sides. I like the smoke to go through the meat. I use hard wood with a little Chicory or mesquite. Best smoking wood I used was hard wood acacia.
Some friends of ours had good luck with pellet smoker it's more
Consistent. Very simple really.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
That's cool different strokes for different folks.
My rational is well smoked meat .
Kills parasites and bacteria.
I want it well over done.
But it's matter of preference..
Smoked salmon or trout is the best. Good stuff.

That's cool different strokes for different folks.
My rational is well smoked meat .
Kills parasites and bacteria.
I want it well over done.
But it's matter of preference..
Smoked salmon or trout is the best. Good stuff.
For sure. I've got some playing around to do with my smoker over the Christmas break. Gonna experiment with ducks...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yea im gonna try them whole with skin on and also have some salmon that I got from a chef yesterday. I service some restaurants for work and wanted to pick his brain on brines and he showed me how to make a dry brine and gave me a piece of salmon to play with. My daughter wanted to help me make a wet brine for the trout and we will be smoking these guys after work!

Snapchat-1810747232.jpg

20181216_193022.jpg

Horto
Here is guide lines for curing and smoking. For chef friend was wise for suggesting salt curing. It kills the parasites. The link discusses all dope.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/lit_rev/cure_smoke_pres.html
Like the pics brother.
Have fun and enjoy the trout.
The reason in the link I hot smoke.
Trout and samon have parasitic worms. Just like pork.
To kill them for sushi, ceviche
It must be frozen below as noted
In the link.
Good eating brother.

So I went over to my uncle's house to smoke my trout and salmon fillet and man I cant wait to go get some more fish! First of all the salmon didn't make it in the photo because we ate it too fast! since it was a fillet and smaller piece (about the size of a normal wallet) the dry brine really cured the meat and didn't need much smoking time. Probably finished in a little over an hour and man was it delicious! My uncle busted out some pita chips that we spread a little cream cheese on then the salmon then some fresh basil from his garden and finished off with a bit of sun dried tomatos..it was killer. On it's own I could have done a tad less salt but with the added accoutrements it was dead on!! Now the trout we smoked for about 3 hours and it was still real moist, I think leaving the skin on helped but I would still like to experiment. Maybe I'll try one with out next time just to see. I would have liked to been able to hang the fish because some of the skin got stuck to the grill but was able to get them off. Gonna try not to eat it all while taking it off the bone and hopefully make a dip with it!

20181217_183828.jpg

Attachments

• 20181217_183835.jpg
    20181217_183835.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Your pics are making me hungry for smoked fish and jerky.
I have to fire up the smoker and grill.
I may try cotton tails rabbit soaked n brine and soaked with butter and bacon fat. I think if I keep marinading the rabbit it shouldn't be to dry.

I use something like this for smoking and grilling fish. Keeps it together.
I missed an important process in
Smoking jerky soaking in brine
So glad your friend said something.
My wife reminded me we soak our
Jerky in brine I am losing it.
https://www.tigerchef.com/fox-run-5...e-LOp7K5aMZjZameXg_I0v9uN7pcFzr4aAqFBEALw_wcB

Haha it is funny you showed me that..my aunt was just telling me earlier her dad used something like that to smoke / cook his fish! And now you're making me hungry for some beef jerky!! That rabbit sure sounds good as well

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu