Something I noticed this turkey season.

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
So after today's hunt, it really set things in perspective for me. After hunting MCC opening weekend and Monday, I called in over 30 jakes. With so many jakes, I got to thinking that possibly the mature gobblers are getting run out by the larger bands of jakes.

Today I noticed the two long beards initially were very skittish of the jake that came in. Once the toms realized it was just one jake, they built up some confidence to chase him off.

I have read about how years where there's many jakes, the lesser numbered mature birds tend to be less aggressive in gobbling and coming into hens fearing a large band of jakes will chase them off.

Anyone possibly seeing this where they hunt?

Gen,

I had an opposite sight happen in front of me Saturday.....2 longbeards chasing 6 jakes around like crazy.....The jakes finally left.

I do know that bands of jakes will chase a single gobbler off for sure.....My feeling is we just don't have many longs because of the last 2 years non recruitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matagi
I could see this happening. Most of the jakes I've seen so far are running in packs and I have seen them aggressively chase off other lone jakes together. With so few longbeards around they are most likely alone or in a group of two. Would personally like to see what two longbeards vs 4+ jakes would look like.

Reactions: TRICER and Matagi
I'd settle for seeing 1 of either when I am out tomorrow...... LOL. Interesting observation though.....

Reactions: Matagi

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu