Spring Dispersal 2015

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Lots of tree gobbling and hens were vocal......I saw a number of flocks, but hens seemed to be paying little attention to the gobblers......What I did see that indicates the spring dispersal is starting were single hens and roaming bands of gobblers.......Also, witnessed gobblers pushing hens away from the main flocks. Saw at least 3 bunches (5-15) of hens with one gobbler......Saw a few jakes today as well. Which was a pleasant surprise......7 in one group and 2 in another.......I'm hoping there's more out there. Last year was very weak on recruitment and this year doesn't seem to be much better.

Here's a few pix from today. Along with a short video before flydown.....There were 14 hens and one tom with these birds......I was videoing with one hand and hit my box call by mistake......Instant gobble......lol

ps.....Camera date is off again..... :-[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtNSvnPamwM

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    707.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    865.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    702.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    542 KB · Views: 58
Gotta love those gobbles. Hearing that sound is getting me pumped for the season. ;D There's some nice longs in that flock.

Tom,

It looks like the junior pheasant may be canceled as is the San J clean-up......You want to go out?

Lots of turkeys out and about today......They flew down late, but got a few shock gobbles early on.....Found 2 gobblers late (1:00 pm) that just wouldn't quit gobbling......When the sun came out the fans went up.....Beautiful day in the turkey woods.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    614.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    650 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    626.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    676.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 47
Good stuff! Those birds in the third pic have some hooks! Looks like there was at least a little rain? Hopefully we'll get some more tomorrow.

Tom,

You should have come along......lol.....Yep, rain off and on all day.....The birds that I am seeing are mostly 3 year olds. Hence, the big hooks......Keep seeing turkeys in new spots. Traditional spots have been pretty weak, so far...... :(......Lots of movement though. So, the opener could and probably will be totally different than what I'm seeing now.

For guys that hunt public, I had a picture that I tried to get, but the birds moved off before I could get it......They were standing right in front of a CNF sign...... ;)

Even more great to see was a covey of quail.....And they were on public land!....I was looking at the tracks in the road, when I saw the covey......Come on spring rains!

Attachments

• IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    520.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    979.5 KB · Views: 49
Haha... looks like I should have come along after all. Looks like it turned out to be an awesome day. I thought the rain was going to be a bit harder -- serves me right for listening to the weather man. :-[ I enjoyed sleeping in though, pulled a 90 hr work week lol I'll be down there next weekend for the MCC party.

Steve, I was out all day today as well on CNF. Didn't see any birds or tracks, just Forest Service closing gates because of the rain.

Did manage to get 3 cams out though

Chad

Cgruwell05 said:
Steve, I was out all day today as well on CNF. Didn't see any birds or tracks, just Forest Service closing gates because of the rain.

Chad

Chad,

Don't expect to see a lot......Much of my scouting is going to areas that I've known to hold turkeys.......I get "hits/gobbles" off of my peacock call before flydown......That's all that I'm looking for right now......Seeing birds is a bonus, since once the gobblers hit the ground they clam up pretty good......It takes a real shock to get them to talk......Early early you can use a loud box call to locate as well......Many times the hen will do the responding first......Then the gobbler will chime in......The one video I posted shows this. I went into this spot not knowing where birds were roosting. Just knew it looked good and I had heard there were birds around.....The hens went off when I hit the box call. Soon he was fired up too.......Now to try and permission around there...... ;)

Cgruwell05 said:

Chad

I'm not sure but I think your new. If you're not I'm sorry but be prepared to hike a lot. You have to get away from people. It will get better later. If you found a area that looks awesome and there's no birds it does not mean birds will not be there later

Sdbirds said:
Cgruwell05 said:

Chad

I'm not sure but I think your new. If you're not I'm sorry but be prepared to hike a lot. You have to get away from people. It will get better later. If you found a area that looks awesome and there's no birds it does not mean birds will not be there later

Chad,

Johnny is spot on......Look and find areas near private property......Many times that involves long walks.......The toms are going to move.......The only thing that is stronger than their instincts of food & water this time of year is sex......They'll roam long distances to find it......... ;)

I'll tell you what, the days before I joined MCC I used to hike anywhere from three to five miles from a fire road just to get public land toms. Its definitely no easy gig here in SD. I think it was around 1998 to 2003 when there were actual roost trees on a number of the public areas. Once the word got out, the birds just got too pressured and found safer areas on private property. I sure miss those days hearing a couple gobblers gobbling off of a big oak tree in Love Valley.

Wow!.........Tons of movement today..........Lots of gobblers coming out of the woodwork......Many of the hens still with the guys, but they were really gobbling a lot. Single & pairs of gobblers were moving around most places we observed....... ;)

How long till the opener?....... ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    609 KB · Views: 43
Dammit Steve. I haven't focused on turkeys much the last couple years. Your post is making me want to get back down there.

Man oh man your pictures are making go insane. First time turkey hunting and I'm more excited then a kid in a all you can eat candy store. :-\ Is it opener day yet!!!!!

nicapopolis said:
Dammit Steve. I haven't focused on turkeys much the last couple years. Your post is making me want to get back down there.

Nick,

I'm very fortunate to have turkeys as close as I do to my home.......It's a damn shame that we can't transplant them into Frazier Park, Angeles NF, San Berdoo NF, and other ideal areas for turkeys in SoCal....... ???

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu