Spring Turkey Bowhunting

schwatk

Jan 13, 2011
Alpine, CA.
Hey Guys,

I'm brand new to hunting. As a matter of fact I just got my hunting license this past weekend. I'm 53 years old and live in Alpine, CA. None of my friends hunt so I'm hoping I can learn and get advice from you guys here on the board.

I believe Spring Turkey season starts this coming March. Besides lots of bow practice and going to the 3D shoots in San Diego (hopefully meeting some of you there), what else should I be concentrating on? I believe Spring Turkey hunting means using calls. How does one learn to call turkeys? Do you spot and stalk, use a tree stand or a blind? I live just a matter of minutes from the Cleveland National Forest so I figure I'll mainly be hunting there. How long before the start of the season should I start scouting for turkeys?

I hope to bowhunt turkey, deer and pigs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please post to the forum as many of us especially beginners can learn a lot from your experiences.

Take care!

Joe

Joe, Welcome! I haven't done a lot of Turkey hunting but I know that if your using a bow it's best to use a ground blind. Double Bull and ones like it are nice. Turkeys have great eye site and will catch every little movment, like when you draw the bow back. Scouting is always a good idea too. Let us know how you do. Good Luck.

New guy here also! I copied the link before it was removed from the other site!

I thought I would reply to this post and say that the turkey tune-up at Lake Sutherland is a GREAT place to learn a lot about turkeys and turkey hunting. You can get more information about it at the San Diego NWTF site. You might even get to meet a couple of the "turkeys" on these local boards! :D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu