Sunday pheasant hunt

Went hunting Sunday and since we had limited time with a sitter, we tried Mendel Woodland's Hunt Club. Pretty great, esp. b/c you can rent a dog if you don't have one. I'd love to have my own dog and it would surely bring the price down, but you guys might enjoy it with your dogs if you get in a rut and need guaranteed action. I do believe there are holdover birds as well as the few released.
Note: it was CRAZY gusty and windy this day, making the dog lose the scent and making the birds really hunker down. When they did flush they preferred to run, but we got a few that bounded up.
The recipe I used was Pheasant Normandy, pretty good with the cider. Recipe here: http://www.thefield.co.uk/food/recipes/top-10-pheasant-recipes-pheasant-normandy-21722 .
More pix on my blog, here: http://suburbanadventuress.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• pheasant1.png
    pheasant1.png
    793.9 KB · Views: 131
  • pheasant2.png
    pheasant2.png
    543.3 KB · Views: 114
  • pheasant3.png
    pheasant3.png
    907.9 KB · Views: 129
awesome hunt!! checked out the blog, kool pics... question, when hunting through "private club" it's legal to shoot hens?

Holly,

Hot water makes the feathers come off alot easier. Nice day I have to say. Have to save up to put my pup on some birds.

TonyS said:
Holly,

Hot water makes the feathers come off alot easier. Nice day I have to say. Have to save up to put my pup on some birds.

Thx guys and yes thank you Tony, I have done that with my friend's chickens we killed and butchered because they turned out to be roosters (suburbia), but was told pheasant didn't need a boil. I've plucked them in the field before and somehow it was easier? It wasn't too bad this time without boiling, but if you aren't going to boil them you have to be patient and I am horrible at being patient. ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu