Surgery thursday

Ask lots of questions. I accepted the answer, "cookie cutter procedure", 96% success, ect... My new socket shifted a little and it kinda felt like a trailer hitch with the wrong size ball. They had to wait 6-7 weeks to go back in and fix it, warning me healing would be a little slower. Never mind the PT gal put the tape to my legs and the new hip side was 5/8" shorter.
So, find out if they can read a tape measure, and what kind of hardware is to be used. Also, I don't know the proper names of the procedure but are they going in from the front or back side.
I am not trying to be negative or put clouds on what you need to have done,. I honestly hope you have a very successful operation and recovery..
Don.t look at the tools they have set up in the OR. It looks like a woodshop.
yeah had a friend up in Bellflower get opened up five times before they got it right.

yeah had a friend up in Bellflower get opened up five times before they got it right.
Fortunately this saw bone has opened me up before and did a great job. I had what I was told is a very painful recovery surgery, detached rotator cuff. I had virtually no pain, I took only one pain pill and waited to see how it went, never took another, well not until I started therapy, bitch got her training at Josef Mengele school to torture. If he has to go in again, I can vouch for my surgeon. I live in Lakewood.

Fortunately this saw bone has opened me up before and did a great job. I had what I was told is a very painful recovery surgery, detached rotator cuff. I had virtually no pain, I took only one pain pill and waited to see how it went, never took another, well not until I started therapy, bitch got her training at Josef Mengele school to torture. If he has to go in again, I can vouch for my surgeon. I live in Lakewood.
Totally off topic but you and I are rather close, and my brother works as a deputy for the sheriff in Lakewood

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Only advice I have is to check the Dr's spellcheck before they put you under! hip = knee ??? WTH? :joy:

Only advice I have is to check the Dr's spellcheck before they put you under! hip = knee ??? WTH? :joy:
That a fact, pre registration had me as right knee. To be fair, I was scheduled for knee before hip went to hell. Hip was going to wait, but it didn't want to so it pitched a bitch and got it's way. It's almost like I have a female hip. :)

Reactions: socalhntr
I loved ortho for the reason it was like wood shop! Are they doing a total head of femur and acetabulum or just a partial? Usually depends on how arthritic the acetabulum is. I’ve done multiple but it’s been a minute.
One time the nurse opened the wrong components onto my table. After we put the right ones in I looked at the ortho rep and they told me to keep them, they couldn’t repackage and the patient wouldn’t be charged. So the titanium head of the femur was my new 4wd shifter in my 88 Toyota pickup, and the acetabulum implant was the handle on my gear shifter. That tripled the value of my old hunting rig back in ‘98!
Ahhh good memories.

Lateral approach, from the side. I asked a lot of question and got what I considered reasonable answers. One I asked was, is it a one size fits all depending on patients size. He said no, they have many sizes in 2 MM increments. Dissolving stitches inside staples outside. I need to ask if I can have old parts.
I did ask for the parts...they wouldn't give me the actual bones, but when I asked for the metal parts on the repair I got and still have them. Impressive bit of machine work.
You might set off metal detectors and get the wand search as I do at court houses and such.
My best PT was needing to walk my GSP several times a day. I live upstairs so I tied a rope on my walker as a sling, over the sholder went the walker, the dog on a leash and off we went.

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
I got home yesterday about 1 PM. Before I could be released I had to have both PT and OT okay me release. Those pepole are brutal, of course I knew that from previous encounters. But that was nothing compared to having original dressing remove. I dropped my skivvies and the nurse said, damn they used a lot of tape. I think it took more than five mins. to get it off, that could have been the worst five mins. of my life. I don't know how I have any skin left on my hip/ass. I said aren't you going to ask, on a scale of 1-10 how was your pain? All in all the pain is pretty low. I'm doing my best to stay away from pain meds. but will take them if needed. Thanks for all the words of support guys. MJB I got your message this morning, thanks for the call.

Round two. From the. minute I got home until Saturday night about 11 PM I had bad nausea and dizzy spells. 11 Pm called the wife into the bathroom and told her I'm going to pass out. I woke up with paramedics tending to me. BP was 90 over 40. Back to the hospital. They admitted me because the emzyme , troponin released by the heart was elevated. It's one of the things they look for in possible heart attack victims. I spent all day Sunday and today being poked. Then this morning I went in for induced stress Tess and another Tess where you lay inside an Exray machine for half an hour while it takes mutual detailed images of the heart. The good news is my heart is in great shape. They said low BP after surgery is not uncommon. They just happen on the possible heart issue because of the Troponin levels being elevated. So now at 5:15 I'm back home hoping for my normal recovery to start.

Remember how tuff you are John!! Being a paramedic for 23years...I've seen way lesser folks cave....you got this!! Light work!!

One thing that has me confused. I was warned while not as painful as knee replacement surgery and shorter recovery time, the pain would come and don't be a man and fight through it, take pain meds. If there was in pain I would not hesitate, but six days out, the pain is minimal, actually not pain so much as sore. No meds. so far. Went for about a 15 min. walk this morning, which pissed off the warden because I did it while she was in shower. My plan to be back in my chair before she was out of shower had a timing miscalculation to it. Now my ass I sore from being chewed on.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu