Sutherland

Cgruwell05

Oct 11, 2014
Escondido
Hey Guys,
Curious if any of you got drawn for Sutherland? If so and if you have hunted, has anyone heard or seen anything? Any reports at all? My hunt date is this Saturday.

Thanks

Here's the latest I could get from the NWTF Hunt Masters........1 turkey taken in Bloomdale on opening day......Since then, there's been birds seen in the Corral and Camp Hope, but none taken.....Most the gobbles have come from the private property up above the hunting areas.....This week has been very slow.....Apparently, just like everywhere else.....Including MCC and other well known private properties that has been great in years past....... ???

IMO......With only a 1/3 of the birds that we've had in the past and the older hens on nests. There's just not a lot of birds left to see (few jakes & jenny's too)....The gobblers are past the breeding stage for the most part. So loud calling or calling at all just isn't right to them......I think our best hope is to find a single gobbler early and see if he has one more stroke in him...... ;)

Agreed. Thats not good news, especially for those of us lucky enough to get drawn. It's still definitely worth a shot though! Heck, maybe I should bring my fishin pole and try my luck there. ;)

I was huntmaster on the 1st hung around cuz camp hope were late, fly down right in the parking lot 8 birds all hens

Snake Charmer said:
Having watched the turkey population undergo its struggles over the last four years I think they need a rest.

I agree , Fred.............Galliforms (ground feeding & nesting game birds) are having a tough time with this historical drought.....The fact they don't live long lives. And with little to no recruitment the last 2 years, our turkeys could be in dire straits very soon....... :(

In the field hunting report at Sutherland: Quite a bit of gobblin at sun up till about 730-745. Has died down since. Hoping the gobblers get lonely here soon!

Btw. All kinds of deer around here. Doesnt seem like the drought has affected them as much as the birds. 8)

I'm kinda disappointed that the regs didn't lower the bag limit this year.......but I bet once you lower the limit its hard to bring it back up.

Cgruwell05 said:
All kinds of deer around here. Doesnt seem like the drought has affected them as much as the birds. 8)
I agree the deer don't seem to be affected by the drought all that much

Is there actually a field hunting report for Sutherland published? (sort of like the Fish Reports for the sport fishing fleet) Or was that just a figure of speech?

MJB said:
I'm kinda disappointed that the regs didn't lower the bag limit this year.......but I bet once you lower the limit its hard to bring it back up.

Mark,

Just the opposite is the mentality of DFG......The greenies involved with DFG IMO want the turkeys to disappear......Two words.....Non Native Species.....Look what they've done in just the last few years......Add in the drought and you've got turkeys in our county in a serious trouble.....I have hunted some of the most prime turkey habitat you can hunt this week.....3 out of the 6 days, we didn't even see a turkey......Take a drive around the backcountry.....Unbelievably dry all ready.....And it's April the 11th...... ???

Decided Not to have tags....."Honor" system on the 3 birds.

Implemented the fall season in San Diego Co.

Increased the fall season to 1 month, state wide.

Increased the limit to 2 turkeys in the fall (2 hens possible).

No transplanting of turkeys state wide.

Doesn't sound to me that they much care about turkeys or reestablishing flocks........ ::)

FYI. While scouting around Sutherland yesterday, my buddy and I saw a tom with NO beard. Anyone ever seen a tom like that before? He wasnt in our area but it doesnt matter because beardless=unshootable

That's not a totally uncommon thing. Some birds, especially out east, get beard rot from the elements. I saw a full mature gobbler three years ago during deer season that had no beard at all.

ilovesprig said:
MJB said:

Mark,

Just the opposite is the mentality of DFG......The greenies involved with DFG IMO want the turkeys to disappear......Two words.....Non Native Species.....Look what they've done in just the last few years......Add in the drought and you've got turkeys in our county in a serious trouble.....I have hunted some of the most prime turkey habitat you can hunt this week.....3 out of the 6 days, we didn't even see a turkey......Take a drive around the backcountry.....Unbelievably dry all ready.....And it's April the 11th...... ???

Decided Not to have tags....."Honor" system on the 3 birds.

Implemented the fall season in San Diego Co.

Increased the fall season to 1 month, state wide.

Increased the limit to 2 turkeys in the fall (2 hens possible).

No transplanting of turkeys state wide.

Doesn't sound to me that they much care about turkeys or reestablishing flocks........ ::)

Greenies are non native species The biggest hypocrites in the world that drive Prius's that use more energy to produce than 2 Humvee 2's There needs to be a hunting season on them. EPA and the Climate Change Morons are pollution. They would rather make sure a NON NATIVE SMELT exist instead of feeding a nation. NON elected bureaucrats are the absolute worst nightmare to the American citizen bar none

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu