T/C Compass, Ruger American, Weatherby Vanguard on .243 ?

I own 3 ruger Americans and we like them
A lot. My only complaint is that the bolt doesn’t lock closed. So if you sling your rifle it isn’t uncommon for the bolt to fall open. It’s kind of annoying my son racked a couple rounds on our Javelina hunt last weekend because his bolt opened and he closed it. He now drops the mag then closes the bolt since he has a hard time holding the bullet down with his fingers and closing the bolt. We do not carry a round in the chamber while rifle hunting.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I own 3 ruger Americans and we like them
A lot. My only complaint is that the bolt doesn’t lock closed. So if you sling your rifle it isn’t uncommon for the bolt to fall open. It’s kind of annoying my son racked a couple rounds on our Javelina hunt last weekend because his bolt opened and he closed it. He now drops the mag then closes the bolt since he has a hard time holding the bullet down with his fingers and closing the bolt. We do not carry a round in the chamber while rifle hunting.
Great input. See, there is always something to trade when looking at options.
My T/C has a position on the safety where the bolt is locked to avoid accidental openings. When I forget to place the safety all the way back, often I find my bolt open after walking through bushes.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
My little Ruger American 22lr is great it feeds good, the the bolt is smooth. It's accurate.
Only complaint and it's a minor one, the mag will accidentally fall
off if it hit the little lever.

My Savage edge 243 win. I am happy. The bolt is smooth. It's very freaky accurate. Doesn't kick
A bunch. Every thing works fine.
Except I was not smart enough to get the 2 stage trigger. But it does fine. I will check into buying after
Market spring, by the way good
Tip there guys.

The bolt accidentally opening can be very annoying. That was the good factor about the Mauser action it was solid. And accurate as can be.
If the bolt does that there is a small flaw in the design.
Hopefully they , Ruger will get resolved in the quality of low entry rifles.
That's why I have changed my thought process and believe more better purchase would be HOWA, Tikka, Ruger American Predator, or the Savage Model 10.
Had I done my homework a little
Better that would be my choice now. And a fool middle of the line
Scope that would not break the bank. As every one says scope can cost as much or more.
But in retrospect it's funny because as a young man, money
Was a big deal. Because I wasn't born with it. So I have the side were I am a thrifty son of gun.
I started out with Iron sights.
Peep sight. And as a short range weapon, I killed deer every year.
Just like bow hunting, I learned
To get close. If it was with in 250 yards it was game on.
Point of the above is now a days
Event an entry level but good
Scope & rifle is way a head of
What I started out with.
Any thing that has an 1 MOA off
The shelf will be deadly for deer.
What it comes down to, the fit, the action you are happy with, the acceptable quality. To me hunting rifles are tools, and will get used and abused. So it will get scratched , a ding or two.
Be it as part of our gear.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I went to Fine Firearms today and I oredered my future Weatherby Vanguard on .243
Thanks John for taking the time today to share your knowledge with me.
There were a few rifles that I would have also purchased if the funds were unlimited.
There is a Savage 11 on .243 that had me drooling...

Last edited:
I went to Fine Firearms today and I oredered my future Weatherby Vanguard on .243
Thanks John for taking the time today to share your knowledge with me.
There were a few rifles that I would have also purchased if the funds were unlimited.
There is a Savage 11 on .243 that had me drooling...

Congratulations on the purchase,

so what put you to the Weatherby over the others? Price? fit? finish?

Im also in the market for a dedicated deer rifle. I have a .223 AR, but the consensus seems to be that this would be on the light side for a big game cartridge. I was looking at the same models as you, except I havent researched the weatherby all that much. That budget deer rifle. Just curious what factors you went with to make your decision.

Im between the rifles you mentioned or a 30-30 lever gun.

Im also in the market for a dedicated deer rifle. I have a .223 AR, but the consensus seems to be that this would be on the light side for a big game cartridge. I was looking at the same models as you, except I havent researched the weatherby all that much. That budget deer rifle. Just curious what factors you went with to make your decision.

I would advise against the 30-30 lever gun if you’re planning to hunt deer on public land in Southern California. I know everyone’s got different styles of hunting and I’m sure someone will tell me how many deer they’ve killed with a gun like that. But in my experience opportunities are fleeting and a bolt gun with a flat shooting cartridge will allow you to take advantage of those opportunities. Only one of the deer I’ve killed in a SoCal deer zone was in the effective range of a 30-30. Now, if you’re hunting private that is a different story.

Reactions: Bronkorob
I took the deer in my avatar pic with a .30-30. They work fine. And they are a pleasant round to shoot.

My only caution to you is that they are a bit heavier to carry for the long hike-ins we typically tend to have here in SoCal compared to a light synthetic stocked bolt-action gun.

If I was to do the levergun thing over again... I think this time I'd instead get a .44 Mag levergun. I recently checked one out at gun shop and was immediately surprised by how much lighter and narrower it was! It was like a full pound lighter! And the energy numbers of the .44 Mag are only slightly less than .30-30's. And it carries more ammo in the tube. I consider my levergun the tool I use when the habitat type is more brushy and thick. Places where being able to shoot long shots is of no advantage anyway, but having a shorter gun you can whip on target faster has advantage.

It really kind of depends on the type of terrain you're hunting. The more open it is, the less and less appealing the .30-30 might start to appear to you due to it's supposed range limitations. But honestly, the range limitations aren't that big of a deal if you're doing an ambush style of hunting where you sit on a spot for long periods of time, waiting for the game to pass by, because you've done your research and know that they do pass by there.

Another thing to note, with a levergun it can be slightly more tricky to lay the rifle flat across a large stone to make the shot. Mine has the BigLoop Lever because that regular kind of lever is just too small for my fingers, and when laying it out across a flat surface like that he *can* run into situations where the Lever gets in the way a lil' bit. (and gets scratched, argh!)

If you do go with .30-30, try the Federal Trophy Copper rounds. They've got a round polymer tip on them so they cycle flawlessly in the lever-action. For me.. with ammo that used the Barnes TSX-FN with that wide hollow point... sometimes when working the action it would catch on the lip of those hollow-points if you weren't working the action exactly perpendicular to the earth, and working it with gusto. The thought of having that happen in the field when looking for a bear, made me try the Federal Trophy Coppers instead. And it seemed to work on the animal in the picture.

I will be glad to answer.
I have said here before, I own a T/C Compass on .308. I am happy with it. The T/C is an accurate gun.
I plan on never sell my guns. They will pass down to my kids when the time comes.
I try to buy the best I can, without breaking the bank.
One of the conditions I had was that the bolt had to stay locked when carried on the sling through tall bushes while in the field. The Ruger American does not have that fixture. Nothing more than that.
Also I wanted something that would last for many many years.
The Weatherby was the winner.
I also own CZ's and love them too, but I would suffer if I had them scratched while on the field. They are too nice guns to go where I go.
I hope that I answer your question.
PS.: I don't know much about the 30-30 so I can't advise you on that.

I have used a 30-30. It's a wonderful round. Great brush caliber.
It's an easily a short range weapon just like bow hunting.
It has its nitch. A lever action rifle
Is rough and tough just like it's owners in the past. On horse back
With a rifle Scabbard. It was fool proof and tough thus it's popularly.
Talk about fast reload. Not as quick
As a semi but close. Way faster than a bolt. So even it was not as flat
As other popular rifles it was needed for a job. Self protection, hunting,
Good all around combo.
I could take 5 quick shots right on a horse. If was trained right.
But mostly off the horse.
The horses my grandfather owned
We're not like horses for just riding.
They were working horses rider and the horse worked as team.
And yes it once was a favorite
Hunting rifle. Cheap but reliable.
Tough as can be.
Best
LB

PS, I echo what DawnAndDusk said about CZ rifles!

I bought a CZ 452 American Scout in 22LR as a first weapon for my boy at the same time when I bought my first deer rifle, and I'll tell ya... I've been nothing but impressed with the Quality, Fit, Finish (and Accuracy) of that rifle. Nice and precise action, and good trigger too.

They really are that nice.

PS, I echo what DawnAndDusk said about CZ rifles!

I bought a CZ 452 American Scout in 22LR as a first weapon for my boy at the same time when I bought my first deer rifle, and I'll tell ya... I've been nothing but impressed with the Quality, Fit, Finish (and Accuracy) of that rifle. Nice and precise action, and good trigger too.

They really are that nice.
I own a CZ 455 Varmint with a fluted barrel and a thumb stock.
Man that rifle is accurate. I get bored punching one holes on targets. The trigger is awesome. The bolt action is smooth as silk.
Lee, we have to get together and shoot at some jack rabbits or something.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu