Tagged out 2019

You don't mess around do ya, great bucks Dude!
Nope, I didn’t have much time this season to hunt so I was fortunate to kill the bigger 3x3 on Sunday morning then the following Saturday morning kill the other one.

The big 3x3 I shot at 493 yards with a 20mph cross wind. Which I was on the fence of taking the shot and being comfortable taking it. Luckily I have practiced that shot and it is always windy where I live so I get great practice. One shot and he was down only went about 30 yards and that was mainly because he rolled down the hill because of how steep it was.

The smaller 3x3 I shot him in his bed at 428 yards no real wind call. He didn’t even get out of his bed just dropped his head and that was it.

Reactions: AML
And what a season for you it was..!!! Congrats..!!
Thank you. It was a great season and to be honest I doubted that I would kill a buck much less two this season with so much I have going on.

So what do you think of copper?...I had a friend knock a buck down 2 days ago and when he walked up to it (after about 5 minutes), it took off...In the excitement, he missed another shot, then short stroked on a 3rd and got no shot...Make a long story short, I looked for that buck for 2 hours in the dark Tuesday...Then came back and looked for another 4 hours yesterday morning...After 3 hours yesterday, I found a single drop of blood a 100 yds away (miracle in oak leaves)...Never found the buck...Possible gut shot or non fatal wound...He said he saw spot up near "No man's Land"...So, maybe it's not coppers fault

Steve, I believe copper is good to go, But I also believe it does not have the particle shock of lead because at longer ranges it does not turn to shrapnel like lead does, it expands but does not send particles off into the animal like lead unless at close range which I have also seen (petals breaking off and going different directions). That being said from my perspectice it makes it more important to land the shot in the vitals with copper where as a marginal shot with lead such as a Nosler may send pieces into vitals that may not happen with copper. I use both and have no worries about either as long as I do my job.

Reactions: baboltin
So what do you think of copper?...I had a friend knock a buck down 2 days ago and when he walked up to it (after about 5 minutes), it took off...In the excitement, he missed another shot, then short stroked on a 3rd and got no shot...Make a long story short, I looked for that buck for 2 hours in the dark Tuesday...Then came back and looked for another 4 hours yesterday morning...After 3 hours yesterday, I found a single drop of blood a 100 yds away (miracle in oak leaves)...Never found the buck...Possible gut shot or non fatal wound...He said he saw spot up near "No man's Land"...So, maybe it's not coppers fault
Exactly what snake charmer said, it’s all about shot placement. We started shooting copper over ten years ago and in the early years we had multiply stores similar to yours now we are shooting the Barnes ttsx bullet and it seems to be doing well for me.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu