Texas Boar 3-12-2021

Smokey58

May 10, 2018
Howdy Guys, I just returned from a pig hunt in Snyder Texas. This Boar came out of the mesquite thicket at last light around 7pm but he possibly scented me and started turning to leave. As he was moving on me, I shot at the head and the round hit Mr. Boar between the ear and shoulder. I was shooting an old 308/scope combo which shot true. He didn't stink outside or inside, and I took his backstrap so I'm hoping the meat won't be too gamey. This boar weighed 175 lbs.IMG_0079.PNGIMG_0041.JPG

Last edited:
Howdy Guys, I just returned from a pig hunt in Snyder Texas. This Boar came out of the mesquite thicket at last light around 7pm but he possibly scented me and started turning to leave. As he was moving on me, I shot at the head and the round hit Mr. Boar between the ear and shoulder. I was shooting an old 308/scope combo which shot true. He didn't stink outside or inside, and I took his backstrap so I'm hoping the meat won't be too gamey. This boar weighed 175 lbs.View attachment 48386View attachment 48387
Great shot, well done. We're supposed to be headed to TX for deer and hog in Nov, can't wait.

Reactions: TRICER
Big Boars are impressive but truth be told I wanted a piglet or sow because I heard they were better eating. I had issues with the rifle and scope the first evening and couldn't harvest one so I had to settle with this big guy after I fixed the gun issues. My brother shot a mean nasty boar a few years back SE of lake Cachuma and when he cooked the roast it was nasty so I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu