Thanksgiving Shopping....

HATCHET1

"yes,it killed the hound..ferocious bitch she was"
Aug 2, 2013
...as the dawn began to break...i thought I'd give a hoot to see if old Mr long beard would give me a shout back....and to my surprise...he did...being fall season...I was agast.....shocked he gave up his location...the hunt was on....to be continued.........

...fall hunting is a Abit different from spring... It's more of a spot a stock hunt..as when you do locate a tom..he is either in a sausage party with all his buddy's..or if he is with girls..there's like 50 or more girls to 1 Tom....a cocksman if you will...in essence...he ain't coming to the call usually....at fly down I had a pretty good idea where the birds were heading...I mean..when you have been hunting the same 1.5 acres for 40 plus years...the birds tend to do the same thing every year...as I hurriedly tried to get into position for the ambush...I heard an ominous and yet familiar sound...I thought to myself...please..lord no...It can't be... Can it? Oh sweet Jesus....it was..and I was not prepared.........to be continued...

Reactions: TRICER
...porky was about to ruin my stalk...that fat bastard had come out of the brush and was heading directly at my ambush spot surely to cockblock me on purpose...
With nothing but my Trusty 870 and my kent steel duck loads #4 in 3inch..(thanks CA)...I was out gunned....all I could do was hope he would take a different path and clear the circle jerk where the birds were frolicking....alast...he diverted to the poison oak....pheew!!..I might have a chance at Tom after all....with the wind in my face and sun being obscured by the low cloud cover...I continue my stalk...birds are not easy to sneak up on..
I had to use my best Cherokee sneak....and also the terrain of the acreage......to be continued...

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
After porky nearly derailed my stalk..I took a moment to gather my thoughts...after all..this is a bird...a large bird...he had me a Abit rattled.... it was at that very moment I thought to myself...hmm..what would Larry do? ( I know..I'm sick with Larry disease most times)...I decided to get closer and play the wait game..they were only 20 or so yards from the neighbors who happens to be a true CA LIBTARD and most likley an avid pole smoker... so I had to play it cool...that guy frightens me..with about 40 birds in front of me at about 80 yds..I could make out old Tom with maybe 2 Jake's..the rest where girls...I don't shoot girls..I save them For the kids .they will shoot anything... .slowly but surely..they started their assent up and back to the brush line..this is where I lay in wait...no guilly suit!!! . Damn it!! Larry fouling my thoughts again!! Uggh!! I digress.....as they moved closer .I was hoping that old Mr Tom would stay in line with the heard as they were now with in about 25 yds or so.. comfortable shooting distance for Mr clean..my trusty 870 express....as he approached my shooting lane..I noticed little Jennifer feeding behind him... No shot...I had to wait it out...the anxiety was almost to much to bear......but held the line ....never waiverd ...stood my ground..and as he broke free and turned broadside...I clicked off the safety and settled the bead at the base of his neck..
Throat patch area really as I've found this to be a fatal shot always...just then he stopped as if he new it was time to meet his maker...and in on fluent motion I touched on the trigger..
........KAPOOW!!!.....to be continued...

Last edited:
After the long and arguos blood trail..I found the trophy piled up in a stack of old telephone poles....he is now residing in a tray of brine...where he will then go to the smoker at 6am for a low and slow water smoke....Happy Thanksgiving 16ers!! Porky might get it by Sunday...I'm not touching. Him...but #2 and #3 are here tommorow...all bets are off.......sweet Jesus..

Screenshot_20221123-110352.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Thanksgiving Hatch!!!
Give Gma a hug from us d16’ers!!!
Thanks buddy!! She,s been in heaven for many years now ..but always granny's to us!! Happy Thanksgiving!! Nothing like having the opportunity to go out and shoot your own bird for Thanksgiving... extremely grateful! One thing CA has right..hunting is pretty cool. For now.

Some of the best play by play this side of the Mississippi. Ever thought of writing childrens books?

Congrats on the bird! Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family. Saw a few turkeys while elk hunting..wish I had my mossy 500 with me. Could of had one for the dinner table.

Reactions: HATCHET1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu