The cows are down in New Mexico

Seeing as how you gentleman seem to have an assortment of gear there in terms of glassing....What's a good Tripod, that's not too heavy, and packable, that extends to standing-height viewing, at a "decent" price-point for the Solo Hunter?

Before I pull the trigger, is there a weight-hook available for it below on the center pole? I like that price BTW.

EDIT: Aw screw it, went ahead and ordered it anyway. Looks like others have added hooks after the fact when needed.

Ordered the Micro pan head too. Thanks.

Last edited:
Before I pull the trigger, is there a weight-hook available for it below on the center pole? I like that price BTW.

EDIT: Aw screw it, went ahead and ordered it anyway. Looks like others have added hooks after the fact when needed.

Ordered the Micro pan head too. Thanks.

I added a hook to mine. Have not used it yet. We were glassing at times with 20 MPH winds on this trip. At one point I lowered the legs and bottomed the extension and glassed from a sitting position. It eliminated all the vibration from the wind. 10-15 MPH winds, vibration wasn’t much of an issue when extended out.

Reactions: TheGDog
Cool, Cool, I'm getting this for my Vulture 15's. I'm already impressed with them dealing with the kludgey Vortex Tripod that only has ball head. I believe once the element of being able to Pan is introduced, it will be real nice and very natural and instinctive to use when glassing. Been practicing with them at the Bolsa Chica Wetlands.

Congrats on the cow guys

Thanks Rich.

Here are a few more pics:

Lungpopper helping out with Justmygame's freshly harvested elk. It is at the top of a steep ass hill. The extraction was hairy to say the least.

The pic of the mules are from Lungpoppers elk. He shot his way back away from anywhere we wanted to extract from. Right after his shot, he says, "have KC get the mules". Which really means - I just dumped an elk in satan's back yard!

The other pics are a few sunrises.20190119_222716.jpg20190119_222537.jpg20190119_222635.jpg20190116_102021.jpg20190116_070729.jpg

Thanks Rich.

Here are a few more pics:

Lungpopper helping out with Justmygame's freshly harvested elk. It is a the top of a steep ass hill. The extraction was hairy to say the least.

The pic of the mules are from Lungpoppers elk. He shot his way back away from anywhere we wanted to extract from. Right after his shot, he says, "have KC get the mules". Which really means - I just dumped an elk in satan's back yard!

The other pics are a few sunrieses.View attachment 37752View attachment 37754View attachment 37755View attachment 37756View attachment 37758
Love the mules.
It was on my list to get packing animals, donkey, mules and horses. But it's not in cards.
Ugggg.

Horses makes a big difference.
When trekking a distance and carring equipment to camp
2 or 5 miles in or further.
Packing out sure would be easier.
There is a limitation.

@Lungpopper how much did you pay for the mules? Seems like a good option. If my cow in Colorado was any further I met a guy in the closest town who told me he would bring in horses to get them out...never told me a price so I am curious.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Complicated answer at best for sure, But I can tell you for sure always take care of your host. This crew of hunter's who I have had the privilege to hunt with for many years in the past mean a lot to me as friends and host's both. You have to understand each other and the past and history to take into context and compensate in a way that make's everyone happy. Look at your guide fee's and performance and tip at the very least what you would tip at a quality eating facility in cash percentage wise and maybe more depending on how you intend to interact in the future for many years having known and been friend's with the outfitter's over the years, To me it's a no brainer one hand wash'es the other. While money is a factor the fee and money is not everything but is about how we have been taken care of each other over time. I have had to skip the past couple years because of family issues but what I can tell you is the folks I have made relationships with mean more to me than money.

Reactions: ilovesprig
@Lungpopper , thanks for the tip, Man! The tripod just got here. (Boy that was quick!) Almost exact same weight as my current Tripod. Nice and light. A little shaky when fully extended, since this one goes to standing height when needed. But overall not too bad! I dig on how the quick-release plate locking mechanism is spring-loaded to click over into the locked position immediately upon pushing-down the quick-release plate! That lever setup much better. On the Vortex Summit-SS that same lever is not spring-loaded to push towards the locked position and is starting to get loose in it's lockup when in the locked position. I've become kind of spoiled by the Twist-locks on mine. But the cam-locks are fine, just not quite as rapid to deploy. Now just waiting on the Outdoorsman's Micro pan-head!

Again, thanks for the link! And congratulations on all that good eating you guys got!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu