The cows are down in New Mexico

Man that side by side was a welcone tool im sure..never leave home without it!!!

Reactions: NBK
Hrmm.. I imagine glassing a scene like that last pic could be trickier than you'd think. Just enough cover with room in-between that they *could* conceivably give ya the slip if it was just one pair of eyes looking thru glass. Nicely done gentleman.

I have the exact same setup for my kalibab 15’s thanks to NBK’s expertise and vast knowledge! Gotta say it makes a huge difference when trying to stay in the glass

GRRRRRRrrr... Dang it... got both the Tripod AND the Micro Pan HEad in my hot little hands.... but the Micro Pan Head is apparently what is a more industry-standard 3/8"-16 threaded hole, whereas for this particular SLIK Tripod the threaded post is 1/4"-20... so now I gotta hunt around for a stupid little 3-dollar part (3/8-16 to 1/4-20 Reducer bushing)... AAARGH!!! SIGH... <deep cleansing breath>... so be sure to let folks know about that in the future.

Man that side by side was a welcone tool im sure..never leave home without it!!!

Yes - the quad's and side-by-sides can make life easy sometimes.
GRRRRRRrrr... Dang it... got both the Tripod AND the Micro Pan HEad in my hot little hands.... but the Micro Pan Head is apparently what is a more industry-standard 3/8"-16 threaded hole, whereas for this particular SLIK Tripod the threaded post is 1/4"-20... so now I gotta hunt around for a stupid little 3-dollar part (3/8-16 to 1/4-20 Reducer bushing)... AAARGH!!! SIGH... <deep cleansing breath>... so be sure to let folks know about that in the future.

Amazon...it is also noted on the Outdoorsmans website when you pull up the micro pan head. They have the reducers as well.

• Lightweight Tripod Head
  • 7.5oz machined aluminum
  • Fully Compatible with all Outdoorsmans Quick Release Adapters
  • 3/8ths mounting hole
  • Outdoorsmans Adapter plates sold separately

Yeah I hurried up and orderd a 5-pack of the reducer bushings. I actually called Outdoorsman's the other day to mention to them about it not showing the note about 3/8's... it *may* have shown it up above, I can't be sure.... in the [Info] tab down below it did not, and that was where my eyes focused since I went thru all 3 tabs meticulously before ordering. The gentleman kindly thanked me for bringing that to their attention.

I want to say both of my slik tripods came with either an adapter or some way to in screw the stud and screw a different size on, because my outdoorsman head went directly
On.

Yeah I hurried up and orderd a 5-pack of the reducer bushings. I actually called Outdoorsman's the other day to mention to them about it not showing the note about 3/8's... it *may* have shown it up above, I can't be sure.... in the [Info] tab down below it did not, and that was where my eyes focused since I went thru all 3 tabs meticulously before ordering. The gentleman kindly thanked me for bringing that to their attention.

I have been using the system you purchased for 2+ seasons with a Swaro 15x bino. It deploys quick and is very light. Make sure you get the Outdoorsmans quick disconnect mount for your binoculars. It makes life much easier. Links for your Vortex are below.

Binocular Adapter

Universal Bincoular Stud

Oh - strong work on the thread highjack! :rolleyes:

Hmmph.... Just went and double-checked directly on Slikusa's site. Doesn't mention anywhere on the page anything about what kinda thread-pitch their head on this tripod is... Pssh... that figures. And on that Amazon link... say nothing about the thread pitch of that stud. It's not until you drill down into the 80+ "Answered Questions" section of the Amazon listing does anybody happen to mention it's 1/4-20. Oh well... live and learn. Anyway, just wanted to make sure to share this finding with whoever might come along and read thes posts and see the link later and want to buy one, so they'll know ahead of time.

Thanks guys.

That looked like a great trip. Enjoyed the write up and pictures. I need to look into a meat hunt like that!

Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu