The Great Merganser!

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
The merganser is a unique, impressive duck and it is rare for hunters on the SoCal Refuges. Have you shot a merganser? If so, tell the story. My only hunting encounter with the merganser took place on the shore of Mystic Lake. A group of three flew over the blind, I did not realize they were mergansers until they were right overhead, by that time it was too late to shoot, they were a little high up anyways. If I were to shoot one I would probably eat it instead of mounting because I have wondered about the taste for a while. I hear they’re bad, but I am still curious.
Mergs.jpg

Last edited:
Shot 2 of them in the valley and they tasted bad. Could of have been my cooking but did not like them.

They are pretty much everywhere. Henshaw had quite a few back we I hunted it often. We see them on the river regularly.

Anchovies in caesar salad are good. Being a substitute for anchovies in salad may be a good use for the merganser. Anchovy is a strong tasting fish, a fishy duck may work well in its place. Then I sell the recipe to Italian restaurants all over and buy a duck club.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu