The Great Merganser!

Got one a few years ago at SJ in the "C" pond. It was an afternoon refill hunt and it was really slow. I had just got out of the blind to relieve myself of some previously ingested non-alcoholic beverages. I just caught a bird coming in out of the corner of my eye and grabbed my shotgun that was leaning up against the side of the blind and had just enough time to swing on it and fire one shot. It crumpled and landed behind some tiles so I quickly pulled my waders back up and went in after it. Fortunately, it wasn't going anywhere and I was able to find it easily. Until I had it in hand I didn't know it was a Merganser. It was the only bird that came within range that day and the only shot I fired. I did take it home and ate it and I was quite surprised, after hearing how bad they're supposed to taste, how good this one actually tasted.

Reactions: Hunter527
Got one a few years ago at SJ in the "C" pond. It was an afternoon refill hunt and it was really slow. I had just got out of the blind to relieve myself of some previously ingested non-alcoholic beverages. I just caught a bird coming in out of the corner of my eye and grabbed my shotgun that was leaning up against the side of the blind and had just enough time to swing on it and fire one shot. It crumpled and landed behind some tiles so I quickly pulled my waders back up and went in after it. Fortunately, it wasn't going anywhere and I was able to find it easily. Until I had it in hand I didn't know it was a Merganser. It was the only bird that came within range that day and the only shot I fired. I did take it home and ate it and I was quite surprised, after hearing how bad they're supposed to taste, how good this one actually tasted.
Great story, the ducks like to wait until we’re busy to fly in!

Erik,

Any pix of said merganser?....Just wondering what kind it was....The commons are quite large.

I shot a few mergansers years back, when i began cleaning them the stenchbwas so bad i tossed them in the trash, they are forever safe around me

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu