The "Henshaw" is happening

New to this site! Also newly retired!!

Went to Henshaw on Memorial Day with my Navy son-in-law and we both only had 1 bite after 2 or so hours. I did eventually catch a 14” Carp that I immediately released.

Not sure how to know when to go back and hopefully do better.

Also not sure how to know if someone replies on this forum…..

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

-Wicked 55

New to this site! Also newly retired!!

Went to Henshaw on Memorial Day with my Navy son-in-law and we both only had 1 bite after 2 or so hours. I did eventually catch a 14” Carp that I immediately released.

Not sure how to know when to go back and hopefully do better.

Also not sure how to know if someone replies on this forum…..

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

-Wicked 55
What are you trying to catch? There are couple of artificial reefs that are usually a slam dunk for catfish anytime between may and November. I might be able to find my numbers if that’s what you’re after and you have navigation.

Reactions: Wicked 55
There will be little red numbers above the three lines in the upper left corner of the screen if anyone has replied to a thread you’ve posted in.

Reactions: Wicked 55
Bass, Bluegill, and Crappie mostly.
The artificial structures are in the mud flats and not likely to hold anything but cats. I haven’t fished the lake in several years. I’d send ilovesprig a PM and he might share what he’s been hammering the bass on.

Like a I said, I went out today...Well the very worse scenario happened...They "Blue Stoned" the lake yesterday and the amount of dead fish (95% shad) was incredible!...I'm so pissed as are the folks that run the lake...This was the best spring in a long time and these jack wagons come in here and are effectively killing the lake.

I did not see any dead bass and only a couple small bluegill and crappie...Keeping my fingers crossed that the lake is deep enough this year so not do as much damage as they did 3 years ago....When every kind of fish were dead, including lot of 5-10 lb bass.

Will copper sulfate (Blue stone) kill fish?....National Pesticide Information center

"Studies with several aquatic species have found copper to be highly to very highly toxic to fish and aquatic life. Trout, koi and juvenile fish of several species are known to be particularly sensitive to copper. Fish kills have been reported after copper sulfate applications for algae control in ponds and lakes".

That sucks Steve! The algae blooms are bad enough, turning off the bite for a week or two. But human induced actions like blue-stoning seem so unecesssry. Is there really no other way to keep water safe and reasonably clean? Where are the PETA folks in Sacramento when thousands of fish are killed?

@ilovesprig why did they stone the lake ???

Brandon,

It's to kill the algae...Since the lake has been high...There's lots of vegetation in the lake...When the weather gets warm and with the dying of that veg, it creates algae...I think they may have had a touch of the blue-green algae too...Quite toxic to human and pets...Untreated Algae kills fish too...When it gets so thick that it takes the oxygen from the water.

After the La Jolla Indian Res sued VID for water rights (and won)...They get so many acre feet of water every year...They don't want algae infested water down stream either...So, I'm assuming that's why VID has gone to this "Blue Stoning" program the last couple of years.

I was up there again today...The water was very clean looking and there were no dead fish near the launch ramp...A friend fishing the lake this morning actually caught 5 bass...He said there were a lot of dead shad in the middle of the lake, but only saw 1 dead bass...I'm sure the wind today creates more oxygen in the water too.

ps...Talked with Henshaw management and they said that VID may go back to putting an aerator system in the lake...I don't recall big algae bloom years ago when they had an aerator near the dam...;)

henshaw green algae.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu