The Islander 1.5 Day

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
Got back this morning from a 1.5 on the Islander. Like always the crew was top notch and Captain John worked his butt off to get us on fish. Seems like we were on the rail for most of the day. I caught at least 30 fish 27 of which were Skippies. Ended up catching the Jackpot YFT on a shimano minnow it was a small tuna maybe 15lbs. Capped the night off with the last fish at dark a decent Dorado in the middle of nowhere no kelp for miles. Great example anything can happen when your line is wet. Ended up bringing home two YFT, one Dodo, and 10 whole skippies for lobster season.
The crew was great, I caught fish all day, ate like a king, and the decks were bloody.
Side note for all the guys that were on the boat sitting in the galley complaining about skippies while I was hooking up please stay home next time! It was nice having all that extra rail space with you cry babies inside. They call it fishing for a reason and in the ocean every day will be different. If you haven’t fished the Islander I highly reccomend it.

1177A017-10C4-4C36-B78C-C7DB4C4F61CB.jpeg8E801D47-9072-4C98-9057-C0661BF8ACF1.jpegDC77F5FD-0836-4230-9D95-A2B986D22917.jpeg

Thanks for the report! The way this season has been your catch was outstanding. Skips are great roach bait too. You scored. I’d like to try the Islander.

Reactions: TRICER
Drew,

I'm not a ocean guy, but what's wrong with skippies?….I know people used to bad mouth barracuda.....I love 'em….Also, bonita….My mom would can it or we would smoke it.....Delicious.

Hell of catch. Better than what I was doing. Skippies are great smoked or deep fried. Cut out the dark meat and fry it is up with onions . PM me if you have Xtra to give away. LOL

Haha I just got off a 2 day on the Islander Sunday night! We caught a million skippies but gave them all to captain John for lobster bait. Was a bit slow for tuna and dorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRICER
Drew,

I'm not a ocean guy, but what's wrong with skippies?….I know people used to bad mouth barracuda.....I love 'em….Also, bonita….My mom would can it or we would smoke it.....Delicious.

To put it in Sprig terms they are like the Spoonies of the sea. People are to good/proud to catch them. I will shoot me a limit of spoonies any day. Spoonies taste better than skip jack though in my opinion. If you like really fishy oily fish then you would like them, I would put them in between a mackerel and a barracuda. A lot of people do smoke them.

The problem with skippers is they’re in town at the same time as real tuna. So as I work my way through the freezer after tuna season, the skipjack is old and freezer burned by the time the good stuff is gone. But lobster season starts in October so....

Drew,

1879 called and they want their canned skipjack back

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Are they good lobster bait because they're oily?
Yes, oily. And body is like others in the family, mackerel, bonito with bloody meat and soft bones. Easy to chop up and stuff bait holders without poking your hands.

Got back this morning from a 1.5 on the Islander. Like always the crew was top notch and Captain John worked his butt off to get us on fish. Seems like we were on the rail for most of the day. I caught at least 30 fish 27 of which were Skippies. Ended up catching the Jackpot YFT on a shimano minnow it was a small tuna maybe 15lbs. Capped the night off with the last fish at dark a decent Dorado in the middle of nowhere no kelp for miles. Great example anything can happen when your line is wet. Ended up bringing home two YFT, one Dodo, and 10 whole skippies for lobster season.
The crew was great, I caught fish all day, ate like a king, and the decks were bloody.
Side note for all the guys that were on the boat sitting in the galley complaining about skippies while I was hooking up please stay home next time! It was nice having all that extra rail space with you cry babies inside. They call it fishing for a reason and in the ocean every day will be different. If you haven’t fished the Islander I highly reccomend it.

View attachment 35767View attachment 35768View attachment 35769
Those skippys are good eating I think.

If you take good care of them skippies are great have to be bled have to be cooled quickly. Have to work at it but they are tasty done right. Especially good if cooked same day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu