There's always one

skinnyjimmy

Mar 9, 2013
Ran onto an old friend I hadn't seen in 20 years about a month ago.
After catching up....sharing photos of kids and family he asked hiw and where to start hunting with his daughter.
Fast forward, tags in pockets, prescouted for them and find birds.
We're set up early this morning and have two toms working their way in 100yrds away.
We see a white truck stop on road above us , kid and adult get out with gun in hand and roll a tom.
They made quick work of throwing the bird in the back and quickly drive off.
Nice exposure to public land hunting.

I asked the young lady if she wanted to try another area I have.
Poor kid asked me if I thought this would happen else where.

I could only answer I hope not.

She asked, can we just go home.

Thank you to the dip in white Chevy 20230318_072835.jpgthe white Chevy

Reactions: Smokey58
Sorry to see your youth hunt was destroyed by a road hunter. Who shot the bird the kid or adult? Hope she don't give up hunting over this.

Well .it was a Chevy..so that counts me out...I hate road hunters!! Uggh!! Hopefully you can get her on another...

The "junior" squeezed the round off
at lest it was legal except maybe shooting from the road. Did they see you two there before they shot the bird if so that really sucks to mess up some ones hunt like that shows no respect for their fellow hunters.

Completely sucks. Hate to see that happen to a kid. When it happens to me, the dude is going to hear me loud and clear. Can't really drop the F bomb with a kid hunter, but when solo, yeah that will work.

John

Reactions: sportyg
What's with white Chevy trucks?....I had it happen on private prop in Utah last year.........:poop:
Okay. Just so you guys know, I drive a black 4x4 Chevy Silverado. We don’t all shoot from the road though it can be tempting.

John

At least it wasn't a Ford guy, probably would have rolled the truck instead of the tom. Toyota guy would have tried telling the turkey how reliable his truck is.

On a serious note, just like @MJB said, public land bird hunting in SD can be a zoo. Even if you're away from the roads the "same thing" will happen. If you can persevere through the frustrating stuff (it happens to me every year) you can have a great time.

If you have a jetboil, make some hot chocolate and hang out for a little while relaxing then get back to it.

Last edited:
Appreciate the encouragement gentlemen. All in all, both dad and young lady thought it was cool to the set up, calling and have em gobbling.
Despite the "mentor" making and effort to lay fallen logs over the creek and getting soaked, they had a good time.
Never knew what our back country has to offer.
That hot chocolate would have warmed me up too.

I dunno dude...my ford has seen an ungodly amount of mammal carnage ..mainly in the bed of the truck..but a few in the grill., But we are talking birds here..so anything is possible!!.now..back on topiic!! Get that bird !! You have a few more hours left to FINISH!! Let's role.

Last edited:
Reactions: sportyg
Appreciate the encouragement gentlemen. All in all, both dad and young lady thought it was cool to the set up, calling and have em gobbling.
Despite the "mentor" making and effort to lay fallen logs over the creek and getting soaked, they had a good time.
Never knew what our back country has to offer.
That hot chocolate would have warmed me up too.
You got to be like a boy scout always prepared.

Reactions: MJB

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu