They say you go for revenge...

SteveHazard

Oct 24, 2018
Does this count then?

IMG_3081.jpg

The hills were crawling with the red legged devils today. Must of been a hundred of them and their cackling call echoing throughout the canyons. Had some misses on some I should of got but these four caught the business end of the thump stick and went down hard. Buddy couldn't hit one for the life of him today though... his revenge will have to come another time.

Congrats on those birds but thats downright painful to read about hundreds of Chukar a cackling... I have put in some serious boot leather in areas that have produced in previous years and have only found them once. Hoping the Great Hunter in the Sky will smile upon me before the season is over....

Reactions: SteveHazard
Congrats on those birds but thats downright painful to read about hundreds of Chukar a cackling... I have put in some serious boot leather in areas that have produced in previous years and have only found them once. Hoping the Great Hunter in the Sky will smile upon me before the season is over....
I've been there before. Between the different spots I scouted/hunted primarily for chukar on multiple trips last season and this season I imagine i'm up over 100 miles hiking up and down mountains and who knows how many vertical feet. I didn't think this area was going to too good at first but I knew there were some so I put more time into it. The more times I went I'd see more and start to get an idea of their routine, spots they favor to flush to etc. This last time I was just sitting on a hill watching them across the canyon climb up, others below me flush over, then some beside and above me chuk'n away. I was stunned as I did not expect that there was that many in the area but I'm pleased to see that they were there. Gives me hope that other areas can be of will be doing good. Hope you connect on them before the season close, they are not easy to go after at all.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Like many ground nesting and covey/flock type birds quail/chukar will flock up in the winter like turkeys (safety in numbers)...Some of the best quail and chukar hunts I ever had were late in the season and after snows fall...Hunting the edges and lower elevations makes it so much easier.

Congrats again...I've had a love/hate relationship with those ba$tards for over 50 years.

I recall one time we took a new hunter out with us, when we got to the known Chuckar hangout and got ready to go, the newbi looked at me and said where are they, I look to the tallest hill and pointed to the top. I told him we will chase them until they reach the peak then when we get up on them they would break and fly all the way down to our trucks, laughing all the way. He got a lesson in Navy language on that trip. But fear not, I got my revenge on many trips.

Anybody ever try eating the windpipe from the chukars?

Yeah, me neither... but apparently the neighborhood boys have thanks to some trickery on the part of my daughter! Was wondering why she was asking me if it was safe to eat them when I was cleaning the birds. Said ummm I guess but not really the part I'd want to try. Are you going to feed it to the cat or something?

I like to take the gizzards and hearts from hunted birds and do a quick boil of them. I then add this tasty consome to my dog's dry food and they love it.

Reactions: TheGDog

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu