Things you wish you knew before

I am going on my first 5 day solo elk hunt next month out here in ID and been getting prepped for sometime but curious on what are some things you wish you knew before or things you changed after your first multi-day hunts.

Things you now bring that are a game changer that you wish you knew about before type of stuff.

Easy snacks / meals...I am going to try Peak refuel meals for the first time. I wanna keep it simple and not take a whole lot. Taking some snack bars and some zipfizz for energy and electrolytes.

I'll have a base camp that I will have a tent, cot, sleeping bag and heater but that's about it. Plan to put some miles in and hopefully tag my first elk.

I've also got a deer hunt coming up this month and got the opportunity to have a videographer / officer from the fish & game tag along to film the hunt as well as a mentor to help guide me in this new country I have not been to yet. Grateful for the opportunity to learn from experienced people out here.
If I get my truck back in time Ill be headed up to that unit next week for deer. If not Ill have to wait til the last week of the season. Pretty sure elk starts day after deer ends??
I am going on my first 5 day solo elk hunt next month out here in ID and been getting prepped for sometime but curious on what are some things you wish you knew before or things you changed after your first multi-day hunts.

Things you now bring that are a game changer that you wish you knew about before type of stuff.

Easy snacks / meals...I am going to try Peak refuel meals for the first time. I wanna keep it simple and not take a whole lot. Taking some snack bars and some zipfizz for energy and electrolytes.

I'll have a base camp that I will have a tent, cot, sleeping bag and heater but that's about it. Plan to put some miles in and hopefully tag my first elk.

I've also got a deer hunt coming up this month and got the opportunity to have a videographer / officer from the fish & game tag along to film the hunt as well as a mentor to help guide me in this new country I have not been to yet. Grateful for the opportunity to learn from experienced people out here.
Should be up in that unit hunting deer next week. Just waiting to get my truck back after being stolen. Im bringing everything with me! But Ill be sleeping in my truck camper.... Good luck to you Horto. If I come across anything of interest Ill let you know!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
So I've been going 16 off and 8 on for about 6 months now. I work 12 hr shifts at work so I know I can go without eating much and still being active but I do wonder how it will be on the mountain putting in miles. I will listen to my body tho and eat and drink as needed.
If you've been doing 16/8 try mixing in some longer ones up to a 22/2 then a full day then later a 2 day. And keep trying to rotate in longer fasts to see what our bodies are actually capable of where the difficulties are for you specifically etc on a schedule that your comfortable with. Your hunting next month so realistically that's pretty close to work up to a real multi day where your body will completely switch from using sugars as energy to fats.

For anybody else that thinks I'm crazy I'm not suggesting to go on a multiday backcountry hunt and do something dumb like not bring food. I'm saying once you realize what your body is capable of and understand how it works you can choose to just carry less or simply go out with more confidence knowing that'll you'll be just fine if something were to happen and you had zero. The caveat being that if somebody is underweight the above does not apply. But let's be honest... none of us on here are. The garbage we've all been told like we need 3 meals a day and bread and grains are the most important food group are lies from companies just trying to profit off us.

If I get my truck back in time Ill be headed up to that unit next week for deer. If not Ill have to wait til the last week of the season. Pretty sure elk starts day after deer ends??

Should be up in that unit hunting deer next week. Just waiting to get my truck back after being stolen. Im bringing everything with me! But Ill be sleeping in my truck camper.... Good luck to you Horto. If I come across anything of interest Ill let you know!
Oh right on man I hope you get your truck in time! The seasons actually overlap for a few days. Deer opens tomorrow through the 31st and Elk goes 10/27-11/09 and archery only deer opens 11/10-11/30.

& yea if you come across anything let me know. Also if you get in a bind or need some help feel free to give me a shout when you're out here. 619-636-3222

What's the longest you've gone without food?
Over a day... not intentionally. You can't be serious. I'd leave my binoculars home before I'd cut short on food. You can put yourself and your partners in serious danger if you're fasting on a physically tough hunt. I'd be pissed if my partner had this mentality... A solo elk hunt can turn into the most physical and mental challenge of your life... why intentionally introduce more of both on your body... Ed F

Over a day... not intentionally. You can't be serious. I'd leave my binoculars home before I'd cut short on food. You can put yourself and your partners in serious danger if you're fasting on a physically tough hunt. I'd be pissed if my partner had this mentality... Ed F
If you've not actually done it then you don't actually know.
Unless your starting point is underweight and malnourished it's not dangerous. And I wasn't suggesting to not have food. If something feels off, eat.
Now not drinking? That's dangerous. But my point is our bodies are still very much capable and efficient while going extended periods with little or no food.
There are right ways and wrong ways to do it of course. If meals leading up to it consisted of garbage then how you feel will reflect that.
Our ancestors hunted just fine like this and they didn't have a mountain house meal or a truck to go back to. The typical american diet is more dangerous then going a few days without food.
Like I said once you've done it, it unlocks a reality you previously thought wasn't possible.

Fuel (food), rest, and hydration are critical for optimal performance. Reducing those where you have a negative balance is going to hinder your performance and increase the risk of injury.

The caveman argument is a fallacy. Just because they did that, does not mean it's ideal. If they had more calories to fuel their hunt they would have been even better.

Man if they only had a truck back then...endless possibilities...on serious note..who purposely starves themselves before a hunt? Fck..Larry wouldn't even consider that ..I'm perplexed..

• Haha
So back to the original question..Im taking food not gonna starve myself. I want to keep it simple so just wanted suggestions as to what some of you who do these type of hunts take with you.

Also I don't have any type of satellite communication device and my wife doesn't like that she won't be able to contact me for that many days but I really don't want to spend $300-400 on a Garmin inReach.

Any of you have experience with other types of devices like the Zoleos or spot? I think Motorola just came out with one as well.

IPhone 14/15 has sat communication. It's free but only for emergencies. I just upgraded to a 14 and sold my old phone. I used Gazelle for both, they buy and sell used phones. This is the cheapest route.

I also have an inreach mini. Used as well for $250ish + $35 activation and $15 a month (roughly). This lets you send messages through your phone whenever/wherever.

I'm pretty sure my wife takes the batteries out of my communication devices when I leave on every hunt .which is quite often...she loves me.

Over a day... not intentionally. You can't be serious. I'd leave my binoculars home before I'd cut short on food. You can put yourself and your partners in serious danger if you're fasting on a physically tough hunt. I'd be pissed if my partner had this mentality... A solo elk hunt can turn into the most physical and mental challenge of your life... why intentionally introduce more of both on your body... Ed F

Agreed, I have spent weeks at tactical training and have proven you can survive and push through without food or water. If you want optimal performance you fuel your body. Guys with little sleep, little food, little water you can see performance drop off a cliff. Not saying it can’t be done, and if your body process fasting ok. Mine can’t and to maintain performance needs fuel and water. Just 2 cents

Reactions: ilovesprig
With that said, take a personal item, book or cards or something. Something small. It’s a life saver if you need to just pass sometime at night or a storm. My mind likes to wander, more like run, so if I need a break it helps

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu