Trail Cams Shot on Public Land

SwinginBass

Jan 2, 2021
Had 2 cameras setup in CNF off Japatul Valley exit and both were peppered with shot and destroyed. New to hunting and only had cameras for a couple of months. I did have them in pretty obvious spots so I take some blame but what a d**k move to just destroy them. I would kind of feel better about if they were stolen. Anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Had 2 cameras setup in CNF off Japatul Valley exit and both were peppered with shot and destroyed. New to hunting and only had cameras for a couple of months. I did have them in pretty obvious spots so I take some blame but what a d**k move to just destroy them. I would kind of feel better about if they were stolen. Anyone else ever had this happen to them?
never, stolen yes but never shot

There's some real a$$holes out there...Despite the cameras being destroyed, the MB cards should be OK....Any pictures of the perps?
There is one guy on there that I’m pretty certain is him because it’s the last image on there but not 100%. He looks around spots the camera and then walks away. Both cameras were shot from the side.

I have 2 new cameras that I want to set up and I have the feeling they will not last.
The problem I found is that the area has to be clear of branches and leaves that can trigger it. It is very difficult to hide them where no one can see them even if you feel the area is not wellknown.
The other issue seems to be to lock them. You need a metal housing and cable and even then.

Reactions: CLarson757
that's why on public land I don't buy expensive camera's, even if it takes a million pics because of branches and such, I don't care, I keep them cameoed up. don't place camera's in high traffic trails, go to the off beaten path. I only lost one camera , I did lose a deer blind. stolen. 79/8 area is high traffic area lots of hunters and hikers. every one goes there.

Sounds like you're in a good spot!
This ^^^ just stay after it dude!! Sucks to hear that happened..been fortunate mine have not been messed with but I am fully aware that it can happen..had a bird hunter notice my cam but he kept walking as do I when I see one. I'll usually leave a waypoint whenever I see one but try not to even come up on it if possible.

Reactions: SwinginBass
I have 2 new cameras that I want to set up and I have the feeling they will not last.
The problem I found is that the area has to be clear of branches and leaves that can trigger it. It is very difficult to hide them where no one can see them even if you feel the area is not wellknown.
The other issue seems to be to lock them. You need a metal housing and cable and even then.

Definitely learned that lesson as well regarding the branches and grasses. Those things will fill up an SD card quick. I had a camera I left out for six months only to find it had filled the SD card in two days from a small branch moving.

I have had cameras stolen so I switched to the Spy High Camera mounts. So far good luck with them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SwinginBass
Its getting harder and harder and more expensive to set cameras. Set 10 last season in different zones and lost 2. Sucks after letting them soak for weeks to find them missing especially if its a hike into them. Sorry man. Cant fix people like that. Ive been carrying in climbing sticks and just setting them higher but that does nothing for shotgun!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu