Tree Stand Stolen Again

jlroberts100

Aug 3, 2012
San Diego
Found my ladder stand had been taken apart and they took two sections of my ladder. Left the top because I had a good cable lock on it. Apparently you can't buy the ladders sections seperately either. Now I have a useless half of a two man ladder stand. Another great part about hunting Mt. Laguna!

.image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks brother. I cannot wait for opening morning. You need to really invest in ladder sticks and a hang on stand. Forget those ladder stands

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

That sucks brother. I cannot wait for opening morning. You need to really invest in ladder sticks and a hang on stand. Forget those ladder stands

I have ladder sticks up there too, with a hang on. I also keep a climber I my truck. I got this for introducing some new people to deer hunting. Pretty roomy and two can sit for a long time. Very sturdy. too bad it won't be used anymore.

Its crazy that people cannot respect some one else's property. I'm sorry for your luck brother. Hopefully they will get what's coming to them. I wish you luck and safe hunting bro.

Reactions: jlroberts100
One could make a new lower 1/2. I could do it no problem if I had the stand in front of me. A local fabricator it evens fencing company could do it as well. I'm sure it would not be too much. I'd do the labor for free if you could ever get it up to north LA

Thanks for the offer, but I never go further north than Kearny Mesa. I'll probably end up rigging something up and maybe finding the right tree to get it in would help. Good luck out there this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gspman
Sorry to hear man. was up in Laguna yesterday scouting

You may want to read the regs about leaving tree stands up.....I have heard it ain't just tree huggers who take tree stands.....Law enforcement can do so legally.

Please be aware that permanent deer stands are prohibited on public lands. Permanent deer stands are any wooden or metal structure that has been attached or fixed on a tree and used for the purpose of hunting deer when in season. Any permanent deer stands found on National Forest lands will be treated as unauthorized structures, prohibited under law and regulation, and are subject to removal under 36 CFR 261.10A.

In addition, use of screw-in steps, screws or nails, and any material that would damage trees is prohibited on National Forest lands. Also, any deer stands placed on National Forest lands must be identified with the full name, address, and telephone number of the user. Stands not labeled with the above information are treated as unauthorized structures and can be impounded by agency law enforcement personnel as discussed above.

Reactions: Josh S.
Luckily I take mine out every year and put it back a month before. I'm also a cop and and I leave my laminated business card taped on my ladder/stand. I also checked with all the law enforcement/fire on the mountain and none had removed any stands in the past year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you leave them up like 360 days a year?

Interesting. The dude who taught my hunter Ed class was an avid bow hunter. Swears by hanging tree stands a few miles in. Says you plant them 5-6 in and you'll never see a soul and can leave up almost all year legally

I've seen two stands up in Laguna for the last 3 years and they haven't moved an inch,and there only 20 min walk from the road

I think the same people that put those stands out, are the ones messing with other people's stands. I know of stands in the general area of mine that haven't been touched in forever.

Interesting. The dude who taught my hunter Ed class was an avid bow hunter. Swears by hanging tree stands a few miles in. Says you plant them 5-6 in and you'll never see a soul and can leave up almost all year legally

If i was teaching a class i would tell everyone to go where i do not.... You hang stands where the deer are not 5 or 6 miles unless that is where the deer are.......

one of the troubles with hunting 5 or 6 miles back is just getting in the seat. Its great to camp out and sleep on the dirt but to kill a local buck you have to spend lots of time in the seat. how many multi day trips are you going to take.

There are guys on this site that go deep and have great spots...they might win the bow contest now and then. There are others that hunt closer to roads and get more days in. Both can get you a buck....

in the ANF i have a spot that is less that 100 yards from a main road. I have no idea why the deer like it more than other areas ( its got acorns and water ) all day long i can hear cars and hikers and random nose. the deer do not care at all.

I think the same people that put those stands out, are the ones messing with other people's stands. I know of stands in the general area of mine that haven't been touched in forever.

I tell ya it's not the hunters it's the local tree huggers. Seen it first hand now the want a be hunters they will sit in your stand but not f with it.
If it was a hunter he'd take the entire stand we all carry a hatchet to knock down shooting lanes so a lock is nothing and they are not afraid of heights but the treehuggers just take what they can to f you up. Seen them cut straps to boobie trap you.

If i was teaching a class i would tell everyone to go where i do not.... You hang stands where the deer are not 5 or 6 miles unless that is where the deer are.......

one of the troubles with hunting 5 or 6 miles back is just getting in the seat. Its great to camp out and sleep on the dirt but to kill a local buck you have to spend lots of time in the seat. how many multi day trips are you going to take.

There are guys on this site that go deep and have great spots...they might win the bow contest now and then. There are others that hunt closer to roads and get more days in. Both can get you a buck....

in the ANF i have a spot that is less that 100 yards from a main road. I have no idea why the deer like it more than other areas ( its got acorns and water ) all day long i can hear cars and hikers and random nose. the deer do not care at all.
very true point no doubt. I plan on doing more scouting on the other area of Laguna around the lake and whatnot. Right now I'm just trying to learn

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu