Truck gear??

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
[cue the roadhunting jokes]

I've spent a lot of time refining my backpacking and hunting gear lists but never thought about what emergency items to carry in the truck. The goal is to be self-sufficient and handle most hazards when offroading into remote areas.

Most of the lists I found online have a thousand things so I'm trying to stick with the essentials. Here's what I put together so far, any more must-have items?
  • Air compressor
  • Portable jump starter
  • Full-size spare
  • Basic toolset
  • Tire repair kit
  • First aid kit
  • Fire extinguisher

Reactions: 180ls1
4WD...you cant go hunting without it.
Assuming you have food, water, shelter, warmth, and gasoline covered.
Depending on your situation:
I would toss in some recovery gear like a jack, recovery rope, shackles, and shovel.
Leather gloves
Electrical tools, electrical tape, wire, fuses, wire stripper, multimeter, Zip ties can be handy.
Potentially spare fluids and a belt.

I know a guy that is a professional... legit...he finishes often..pm me for his digits...

Zak,

I carry 2 sets of tire repair kits...3 flats in Utah made them well worth it.

Air pressure gage

A GOOD tire star wrench

Hose clamps...Large and small...They don't take up must space and one radiator leak and you'll need them.

WD-40, quart of oil

A bag with a change of cloths, sun glasses,

Gorilla glue, Gorilla tape,

1st aid kit,

Travel size deodorant, tooth paste, brush, etc.

Multi tool ax/hammer

Extra pin for your hitch

Extra fuses

At LEAST, 3 small flash lights with extra AA & AAA batteries...I also have a solar charger for my cell phone.

Lastly, and this covers some of the other things, the charging stations are really trick.

1657942823659.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak and 180ls1

Colby Valve in case you break a valve stem. Makes that a simple couple minute repair. If you have a winch take a snath block to use with it. A large amount of water (I usually take 5 gallons) in case you get stranded for a couple days. You can go a while without food (even though you should take some extra food) but you can't go without water long. Fiberweld tape. This is resin infused tape which you can wet and wrap around things (like a radiator hose) to make a good strong unleakable repair.

Reactions: Zak
A come-a-long winch is like $50 and will basically do the same thing as a real one. Used it a couple of times. Works great.

Extra food, water, jacket, emergency blanket should always be in there. Someone will find you if you get stranded bad enough, you just need to stay with your vehicle and survive long enough. I'd recommend a "bug-out bag" that just stays in there even when you are just daily driving. You never know when you'll be away from home and something stupid happens.

Reactions: Zak and ilovesprig
A tarp, duct tape, matches, zip ties, rope, some baling wire, a wool blanket and leather gloves and a flask of brandy for the evening.

Reactions: Zak
Thanks for the ideas guys, plenty of things to research. Just another example of how getting into hunting has expanded my knowledge and skillset in various topics

Reactions: ilovesprig
Pepper saved me in the utah back country years ago. Radiator sprung a leak.

I carry a shovel, cordless impacts, full tool set, jumper cables, cable ties, tie wire, electrical connector kit, 105 gal of fuel in the L tank (hey, it's there), yank rope, bow shackles, tie down straps, come along, toilet paper, rags, grease, any fluid the pickup could need, random bolts, random screws, fencing tools, fishing stuff, matches, lighter, flashlight, kitchen sink (not really but you catch my drift), electrolytes, rain slicker, extra boots and clothes, ammo for any caliber I might be taking, knives, cordless sawzall.

Boy, I carry lots of stuff, but I hate the guy always asking for parts/tools/help at camp. Always the same putz.

Used to carry 5 5gal gas cans. I'd fill my tank when I get to my spot. Awhile back I did that in A22, once I got back to camp from a hunt someone took an ax to four of my cans, think I may have stuck an arrow in him had I found out who did it. My best guess was the camp host but who knows.

Before getting into hunting, I was and am a member of an offroading/overlanding club. Talk about going down a rabbit hole gear wise. So, in addition to EVERYTHING stated in the above posts, I carry (Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4wd):

hi lift jack and OEM bottle jack
PBblaster
tow rope (dynamic), strap
extra sunglasses with welding rods and wire to daisy chain in case I need to emergency weld something
battery jumper (the portables)
hatchet and full size axe
shovel
Jackery (small one) for lights and additional power
extra cables for phones to car battery
100' rope (fire dept left over)
tarps
bug spray
bear spray
various forms of lights from headlamps to GZ light pods
tire repair kit
med kit (little more than first aid, but not quite trauma kit)
wrenches including ratcheting box-ends
ratcheting screwdriver
sockets (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2)
electrical repair kit and fuses
if going really far, then 1/2" Dewalt impact (changing a spare is super easy with this)
Katadyn water filter and life straw
lots of paracord
bungees
about 8 ratchet straps
solar blanket
lightweight sleeping bag and woobie
surplus fabric litter (to carry a person)
my Kabar and several small knives with knife sharpener
couple Bic lighters
fire starters
portable ham radio with extended antenna
Garmin mini

There's probably some things I'm missing and yes, i know my truck runs heavy. But it's not my daily driver and typically, ONLY used for hunting, fishing, camping so it stays packed with almost everything on this list.

Used to carry 5 5gal gas cans. I'd fill my tank when I get to my spot. Awhile back I did that in A22, once I got back to camp from a hunt someone took an ax to four of my cans, think I may have stuck an arrow in him had I found out who did it. My best guess was the camp host but who knows.
Messing with a man's gas cans would get a guy in bad shape around here...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu