Turkey Hunting Basics

So, the Spring turkey tune up event is to hunt turkey in Sutherland or all over San Diego county?

The Turkey Tune Up is for the Sutherland Hunt. Your hunting license and upland game stamp is all you need for public land.

I have a number of different calls and like duck calls. I'm a sap for the new sounds & stuff.......lol

My go to pot call is made by one of the kids I take hunting.....And it's glass.....Flydown Custom calls......40 bucks (includes matching striker) and they're sweet.....Pure Strut slate is another that I use (sweet sound).

I'll have a number of different calls at the turkey tune-up along with some other manufactures.

Steve, when will Josh not be a kid anymore? LOL.:)

You must attend the Spring Turkey Tune Up Event. There is a fee to attend this event, and it is typically hosted at Lake Sutherland. It is a good chance for a new turkey hunter to network, listen to some seminars, talk to the USFS, etc. In order to hunt Sutherland, you must enter into a raffle. If selected, you have the opportunity to pay the hunt fee, and then select an available date. The turkey hunting there can be good, it can also suck.
How do u enter the raffle? Website?

How do u enter the raffle? Website?
No website.. in person at the Spring Turkey Tuneup. Entry fee to the event gets you a ticket into the drawing. In addition to the draw, it's a good chance to talk turkey with folks and learn about calling, etc. Flyer usually comes out in February-ish.. correct me if I'm wrong. Sprig usually posts it up, or you can get on the mailing list with Lori at the SD City Lakes.

Anyone have any recommendations for turkey hunting locations in SD? I've seen a few out deer hunting in lagunas but nothing promising.

Anyone have any recommendations for turkey hunting locations in SD? I've seen a few out deer hunting in lagunas but nothing promising.

I dont turkey hunt so I dont have any recs but theres over 100 posts in this thread. Im sure its in here somewhere.

The one recommendation that applies to all hunting is: boots on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Public lands are very spread out in San Diego Co.....Anywhere in our east county could have turkeys....I will tell you the 3 locations that they were originally planted (released) are, The Canta Rana Ranch in Wynola, The McCaw Range near Lake Sutherland, and Eagle Peak Ranch off of Eagle Peak Rd (they are private).....All turkeys in the county came from these 3 sites.....I've gotten reports of birds from Vail lake to Barrett Lake (north to south) and Escondido to Borrego (west to east).

If you just want to see some.....Hang around Lake Henshaw, Cuyamaca State Park, or the town of Julian.

I have a number of different calls and like duck calls. I'm a sap for the new sounds & stuff.......lol

My go to pot call is made by one of the kids I take hunting.....And it's glass.....Flydown Custom calls......40 bucks (includes matching striker) and they're sweet.....Pure Strut slate is another that I use (sweet sound).

I'll have a number of different calls at the turkey tune-up along with some other manufactures.

Great Picture.
I like the background...

Thanks Mark......I had it typed in and got sidetracked and didn't put it back.

Rattlers are very common in San Diego Co. especially in the spring time...Every spring I have friends that get close to them. The Southern Pacific's can be very aggressive....If you don't have snake boots or chaps, you may want to consider them.....Also, watch when you sit down, where you put your hands after sitting for awhile, and stepping in rocks or over logs.

Where those headless rattlers? I cannot see them!!

I started a new thred but I thought that I found this one after and I think that It might be better if I post it here too.

Who can teach me a few more things about turkey scouting?
How long after dawn would Tom's gobble back to Peacock calls? and why do they actually gobble back?
I will drive and hike a lot tomorrow and I want to know if there is a time where I could stop and take a brake before i keep going.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu