Turkey Opener 2019

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
What a great 3 days up at Lake Henshaw with family & friends....Scouted Friday with Phil (my TSS man)...Then decided to do some crappie and bass fishing in the lake...The crappie didn't cooperate, but the bass did...3 on on a blade and 3 on Senkos in about an hour...I haven't kept a freshwater bass in years, but with the BBQ, I decided to keep two (and they were delish).

Friday night lots of folks came by (it was also my happy birthday....lol). The stories of old times and great hunts is something I always look forward too...Great food, lots of drink, and great deserts (Mark, the blue fin and shichimi was awesome)...Very little sleep was had...lol

Saturday morning with Stefanie and Jacob started out with high hopes...Birds were going off and I thought we were in a good position...Not!...After flydown and not getting a smell, we packed it in and went and had breakfast...Went back to the cabin, let the dogs out, and then headed back up the mountain...Got settled in for the long haul and after about 30 minutes, Jacob got on glass call. And almost instantly a hen cuts him off (I had just called on the box & slate)...He calls again and she fires back again...A few minutes go by and we put a visual on her...She's yelping pretty good and she's followed by another hen and a gobbler...When he clears the brush line and gets to within about 33 yds...Stefanie lets loose...Down goes Frazier!...18-4 lbs, 8 1/4" beard, and about 3/4" spurs...Very exciting...:p

Saturday night more folks came by...Venison chili, fresh bass, a great homemade potato salad, more drinks, and birthday cake...Slept like a rock....lol

Sunday morning was the polar opposite of Saturday morning...Heard a couple of faint gobbles and 2 gobbles closer right at flydown (6:25 am)...No visual on any turkeys...Stefanie had decided to sleep in. So, Jacob & I were going to hunt till 11:00 am...After a couple of hours, I decided to go get my binos that I had forgot...Walking back up the hill...I thought I heard a faint gobble in the distance (9:30 am)...Once I got settled in, I got on the old Primos Box Cutter...Thought I heard a gobble again...Jacob did not hear it...A few minutes go by and I hit it again...This time we both heard him... One more time and he's closing the distance...Hit him one last time and he's within a 100 yds...Within a few minutes, Jacob spots him sneaking thru the woods...He goes behind a big pine tree at 30 yds, but no shot...Don't know what he saw, but suddenly his head goes up periscope, and turns to leave...Unfortunately for him, there was a good shooting lane behind the pine...Down goes number 2...19-10, 9", 1 1/8 hooks.

Man, this stuff never gets old.....:blush:

.004.JPG021.JPG025.JPG035.JPG041.JPG078.JPG065.JPG084.JPG

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    912.3 KB · Views: 9
Very cool! Looks like a dang good time.I’m heading up north tonight. I’ll post if anything comes of it!

Reactions: ilovesprig
Strong work! It was a 1 bird seasom for me..wont be back in CA until may to lead those damn hogs to slaughter!! Hope you pound a big boy this week stevie! Post him when you kill him.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Now that’s a great weekend! Congrats and happy birthday as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that’s a great weekend! Congrats and happy birthday as well!

Thanks, Matt....The scouting, comradery, and watching folks whack those damn birds is the fun these days....:blush:

ps...Phil got a beautiful bird Saturday on MCC...Scouting with him on Friday...Set-up on the X.

.068.JPG033.JPG

WTG Steve, Happy B-day as well.
Met Hunter's dad a while back and gave him the info to your operation for the youth hunt back then.
Dad was in Mexico fishing and hunter had a break from his travel hockey team, lost state finals so I told him he could hunt with Cameron.
What a weekend they had.
Thanks Steve and all others for the kudos.
These kids are awesone!
Close call again this weekend for Zander, we'll get em one

Thanks, Matt....The scouting, comradery, and watching folks whack those damn birds is the fun these days....:blush:

ps...Phil got a beautiful bird Saturday on MCC...Scouting with him on Friday...Set-up on the X.

.View attachment 38791View attachment 38792

That’s awesome we saw a flock of 10 jakes and toms not to I too interested in the ladies or at least not game to come to us. But it was a great day with about a 4 mile hike. I will sleep good tonight!

Steve the BBQ was great ,Ember had a great time. Its funny the stories she tells me about talking to the old guys.Congrats to the kids nice looking birds.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu