Turkey spotted...now what?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I went hiking and casual scouting with the wife and the dog today. A lot of people out.
At around 3pm I spotted 4 does. I never expected to see anything with the dog and the wife. The wife is so freaking loud..loves to talk to the dog and loves to walk fast....but what do you do?. Its her time so I try to go wit it..yet I saw 4 does down by a little creek. They moved away slow.. Once my dog spotted them she got their scent like a hound..not bad for an Aussie. I had her on the lead but boy she wanted to chase.
Then at the distance I heard Turkey...I'm like..no way. We drive away and explore and at around 5pm they there were on the other side of the hill...like 7 or 8.. They were parading like nothing bothered them...until they saw us. They stopped and moved away slowly.
I want to go after them with a bow...they were about 50yrs. I could have wait for them ahead and ambush them.
Question:
If I go early in the AM tomorrow, would I find them?
Is early Am better than later?
Do I look for them in the trees in the early AM.

The weather forecast is 12 to 17 mph winds and cool. The wife had a nice camera ill post a pic of the camera pic..I'm too lazy to download the camera pics.

Last edited:
Sorry i can't edit with tapatalk.
4df696d1bfe79c36a24c2cda73a5c5af.jpg
76419946332783c9ff500d0576cd5dc2.jpg
f727d10c1a1f37af2177d9f2693fa83c.jpg
d9557aa540fc7ec49fceb692b5f58e1d.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Cool pix and great gobblers....This was all on public land?...:eek:

ps...Mornings are good...10-2 is best in my book this time of year.

pss...Why use a bow?...They're tough enough to get with a shotgun.

Walk in before daybreak setup near by were spotted. Let the forest wake up
Listen for their call at day break .
Stay still they have sharp eyes, if they bust you their gone.
Try calling watch the videos I posted in upland game. And read all of ilovesprig pinned info.

Soooo.....I just go back from chasing the birds. I got up early and I was really hesitant to go with the rain...but I asked myself...How bad do you want it? So I went.

First. I found them in the same area where I saw them yesterday as early as 7am, some of them were tankers! What's even better...At first, I saw them and they didn't see me...so I tried to ambush them but when there are a handful of them you can't even draw the freaking bow..too many eyes looking. So I waited and waited and waited, they would move and I would try to go around. I felt like a pro! I chased them for what it felt was a couple of hours and they didn't even know I was there, why? It was wet and there was lot of cover and my rubber boots from Wallmart happened to be super quiet. But the buggers walk in unpredictable patterns. I should have drawn the bow and see what happens but I wanted to be closer..Why? My POS cheap ass stupid range finder did not seem to like the light rain..it measured 8yrs anywhere!..I also don't have a call but I didn't need it the birds were out and within reach.
During the last attempt as I waited downhill for them, I heard a call, the kind I did not like since the birds have made no sound all morning. Yup you guess it...another hunter came downhill instead of the birds. so Game over.
There was light rain, it was cold and really foggy and the does were active early in the AM too. I don't know when I could go back but I know the birds will be there as long as the pressure stays low.
I had fun trying to get them with a bow. Next time.

Last edited:
Shoot the bird dude....he,ll taste just fine.

WG,
If I read your post correctly did you say your dog is an Aussie? If so, has your dog ever worked stock? I can tell you about my Aussie and a deer herd in Mt. Tamp years ago.
He whined and I let him loose. Damned if he didn't gather the entire herd of about 25 and bring them back within 25 yards.

WG,
If I read your post correctly did you say your dog is an Aussie? If so, has your dog ever worked stock? I can tell you about my Aussie and a deer herd in Mt. Tamp years ago.
He whined and I let him loose. Damned if he didn't gather the entire herd of about 25 and bring them back within 25 yards.
Nice!
Yes, my dog is a 4yrs old Aussie...she's a natural at finding birds, dock diving and can learn anything I teach her. She would be great at herding no doubt.
She would be great retrieving Ducks too but she's gun shy and will run away if she hears a shot.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu