Turkey

Cha1upabatman

Feb 28, 2020
So not looking for specific just general yes or no answer...have searched Cleveland National forest for turkey but is a ways away from me to keep driving down every weekend. So question is there turkey in the San Bernardino mountains that you know of?

So not looking for specific just general yes or no answer...have searched Cleveland National forest for turkey but is a ways away from me to keep driving down every weekend. So question is there turkey in the San Bernardino mountains that you know of?

No...Last transplanted birds were in 1997...Never took hold.

ps...I've had folks tell me that a friend of a friend has seen them...No confirmed sighting by biologists.

ps...I've had folks tell me that a friend of a friend has seen them...No confirmed sighting by biologists.
Yea I had another word of mouth say there were some but not fully credible source

Cha 1,

How early did you get down here?...Did you start near Lake Henshaw?
We made down there roughly about 7...no we didn’t we don’t know the area I believe antelope valley. Then came across a quail hunter that told us we were to low and into the valley so he said make our way up to Ramona and lake Sutherland.

We made down there roughly about 7...no we didn’t we don’t know the area I believe antelope valley. Then came across a quail hunter that told us we were to low and into the valley so he said make our way up to Ramona and lake Sutherland.

1st off...7:00 am is really late...Once birds hit the ground, they normally quit gobbling much this time of year...So, you're basically looking for a visual or tracks...After a rain is a good time to go scout...Tracks are much easier to see.

Quail hunter?...Antelope Valley?...Ramona and Lake Sutherland are pretty good calls...More land in these areas than you can hunt...Oh, and turkeys like lowlands.

Reactions: Cha1upabatman
1st off...7:00 am is really late...Once birds hit the ground, they normally quit gobbling much this time of year...So, you're basically looking for a visual or tracks...After a rain is a good time to go scout...Tracks are much easier to see.

Quail hunter?...Antelope Valley?...Ramona and Lake Sutherland are pretty good calls...More land in these areas than you can hunt...Oh, and turkeys like lowlands.

Last edited:

Yea we came across another hunter side of the road waiting for a buddy that was going chukar on some club they were in and he told up to head up that way...and got ya on the time I figured it might have been...so basically we were looking to high of an altitude area

The area you posted certainly could have turkeys and has had turkeys...I'm not that familiar with it though...Kitchen Creek has always looked good, but these southern areas are on the bubble of the turkey expansion.

ps...Be careful about posting locations.

The area you posted certainly could have turkeys and has had turkeys...I'm not that familiar with it though...Kitchen Creek has always looked good, but these southern areas are on the bubble of the turkey expansion.

ps...Be careful about posting locations.
Oh ya about that my bad... well hopefully I can make it back down there to search some more before the season starts

Must be the same people that say they are around Mt Pinos too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu