uber and lyft leaving California is the true?

Would not surprise me. The state is practically telling the rich to leave. Unfortunately they will take business with them and make it worse.

Do you guys use Uber? If you do you, you can see a Service notification on your app that says;

"If the appeal to make the contractor's employees do not succeed, we might shut the service temporarily in CA". It is not a given that Uber will be leaving CA.

It would absolutely be a bummer if they do, and I do believe what the article says: " Legislators didn’t realize the drastic implications their legislation would have; they were simply hoping to improve working conditions in the gig economy." Nooo sh#t! politicians and legislators lack common sense but that's nothing new.

Put politics aside for a moment if you can.

Uber is a company with 52+ "Billion" in market cap. That makes them a Large Cap company...(pretty big). I read somewhere that the CEO makes over $40Mill.....and for the "leave the country if you are not from the US" kind of guy get a hold of this..... the guys is from where? ......yup IRAN and who invest heavily in Uber? Our friends the Saudi...lol...My understanding is the CEO donated to the Hillary campaign..does it matter to you?

Whether you care about it or not is beside the point...perhaps the CEO deserves that kind of money for running the company you decide. I only mention these facts to have a perspective when discussing the issue.

I know I pay for Uber rides when I use them and the driver gets a cut out of it and that's all I know. The drivers who I talked to say they do all right if they drive 10 to 12 hrs a day but they love the flexibility.....so it can be a good gig if you are in need of extra income and want flexibility.

I am not suggesting that the new law makes sense because of course full benefits for so many will hurt the company. I am not suggesting the CEO should spread the wealth either, because this is America and even if you are not born and race in the US to me..money you make=money you keep.

But really, Uber and the lawmakers should and hopefully will negotiate. Perhaps they should give the drivers some flex dollars that they can be used to pay for some essential benefits. Because when people work long hours and they don't make enough money, guess who pays for medical coverage and food assistance for the ones in need? .. not Uber, not Mr. CEO...

Would not surprise me. The state is practically telling the rich to leave. Unfortunately they will take business with them and make it worse.
The rich tax smart folks have already left or are leaving. I used to have many clients in wealthy communties who would have me train, tune and board their dogs. That has all but dried up because of the course of this state and them telling me why their were leaving. Get ready middle class your taxes are next. I'm glad I'm old enough that I can start to plan to take what I earned and leave.

Reactions: WaterDog
@Snakecharmer The mega rich will leave in droves soon. CA wants to tax the wealthy even if the LEAVE the state. It's happening:

" California has the highest tax rates in the nation. Bonta and Democrats want to force successful Californians to pay additional taxes on wealth and income that’s already been taxed. "

With work from home, get ready CA will be in trouble. Why would a company stay here? It's a simple question with a simple answer.

The rich tax smart folks have already left or are leaving. I used to have many clients in wealthy communties who would have me train, tune and board their dogs. That has all but dried up because of the course of this state and them telling me why their were leaving. Get ready middle class your taxes are next. I'm glad I'm old enough that I can start to plan to take what I earned and leave.
It is coming for the middle class. They want to knockout Prop 13 for commercial property. If that gets voted in, it won't be long before they come after homeowners and raise taxes. They never have enough money. Does anyone want to pay triple property taxes in California? Many people wouldn't be able to keep their homes. SMH.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: chessie
It'd be nice to know what my taxes have been paying for nowadays. Infrastructure improvements? Nope, same ol' shitty roads and decades-old stuff around here. Safety? Nope, police have been underfunded and will get worse if this stupid defund movement becomes reality.

So why do I bust my a$$ for 10 hours a day to then have half of it taken for donation? Oh, right, someone's gotta pay for those EBT cards, WIC, housing assistance, and "urban outreach" programs. That guy's me.. and you..

@Wildgame, I perfectly understand your point. But AB5 was never about giving independent contractors more benefits... It was about taxes my friend... our government is a thirsty machine and many independent contractors never reported some of their income... With this law they closed that loop.
Think about insurance also. They have to pay for workers comp too.
How come I cannot hire a tutor for my child unless I register as a business owner? It is f... Ridiculous...
Uber and Lift have relevance because of the size of the company but there are hundreds of thousands independent contractors that have been affected and can't do sh... About it but brake the law. So a perfectly law abiding citizen is now forced not to be.

Reactions: Wildgame
Remember that Newsom will next kick down your front door with Sleep Joe and take your AR-14 next

I had to use an Uber on Saturday. The driver told me that Uber and Lyft (he drives for both as most do) has told them that, barring a miracle, Uber and Lyft will be shutting down in California on Friday at midnight. He's really bummed because he's a student and the flexible work hours allow him to work around his school schedule.

Lorena Gonzalez, who authored the bill that started this debacle, is a crass and uncaring woman who should be voted out of office.

This is what happens when you elect people who vote on "Emotion" the death of a Republic. If you wanted to piss off a Founding Father and get your throat slit say the word "Democracy"

I had to use an Uber on Saturday. The driver told me that Uber and Lyft (he drives for both as most do) has told them that, barring a miracle, Uber and Lyft will be shutting down in California on Friday at midnight. He's really bummed because he's a student and the flexible work hours allow him to work around his school schedule.

Lorena Gonzalez, who authored the bill that started this debacle, is a crass and uncaring woman who should be voted out of office.

Lorena Gonzalez is the wife of Nathan Fletcher, county supervisor (4th Dist) for all you San Diego county guys...Both liberal dems.

Reactions: YETI
Lorena Gonzalez is the wife of Nathan Fletcher, county supervisor (4th Dist) for all you San Diego county guys...Both liberal dems.
Interestingly, there was a time back when he was a Republican and prior to losing his bid for Mayor, that Nathan and I were friends. We're both Marines and have some mutual friends and had chatted at a few social outings. My how times have changed.

With work from home, get ready CA will be in trouble. Why would a company stay here? It's a simple question with a simple answer.
I'm looking at if I can do the job I'm doing for the last four months from, say northern Arizona, well...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu